How Can I learn from Shruthi?

Hi,

Like most I guess, I eventually found Shruthi through my own synth building (which never really got past crapp 555/CMOS noise boxes, wanted to build my own Trogotronic devices, like trying to build a porsche out of cardboard :D). The Shruthi is a bit too advanced for someone like me to understand but I am interested in learning some very small building blocks from Shruthi and aplying it to other things. I was hoping to learn from Shruthi but to be honest, enjoying it just for what it is more than anything else now. My JP8000 is sitting gather dust now, I just can’t get the sounds I am getting frm Shruthi on it :slight_smile:

I bought some montrons and am really keen to learn how to build a MIDI interface for it. I know there are some kits available for it but I really think something like that could be a great first start for learning microcontrollers, embedded languages, etc etc. I am very bad with books, I only learn when I have a clear goal in mind. Is something like that too ambitious for a compete beginner?

Beyond a MIDI controller, I want to incorporate some sort of envelopes for the montron, this is something not in the current MIDI kit of it. Now the shruthi is analogue filter board VCA etc. but from what I can make out envelopes are digital, and I presume there is some digital to analog conversion.

I know of devices like digital potentiometers I am wondering if something as crude as programming a shape for a digital potentiometer which can be shaped somehow could act as an envelope for things like volume and filter cut off on the monotron? Is there any way I can learn from what is in Shurthi and apply to other projects? Any good starting points?

I am completely new to anything like this (my level is CMOS/diy stompboxes etc) but have some programming background/assembly (Z80, sinclair 48k :P) so I know I need a controller chip and a way of dumping stuff to the chips. I really can’t find much in way of tutorials on any of this? Any good pointers? Thanks

Forget the digital potentiometer idea, it won’t work (a digital potentiometer will require your signal to be DC biased since they do not accept signals below ground, and the DC bias will be attenuated, causing CV feedthrough). Learn how to build analog VCAs / VCFs ; and then use a digital interface with a DAC to generate the CVs.

You could also consider VCRs (vactrols, optofets, OTAs…) if you simply need to replace a potentiometer
have a look here:
http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midiboxfx_-_midifiying_analog_gear

It’s very fashionable to do this with a Raspberry Pie.

You hold the pie out to the monkey, the monkey reaches for the pie, which causes his weight to shift, which slightly depresses the beam, which…

Get an arduino and start with building the examples, learn about electronics… I’ve been learning arduino recently to build a midi controller. It’s very easy to get your first midi projects going on the arduino… It also uses the same ATmega cpu’s as all the MI stuff (untill now)
Look at the source code for the shruthi and the midpal… look at the scematics from the shruthi and the anushri… try to make modifications…
i’m slowly getting a grip on al this stuf this way.