Hidden Modulation ?!?!

Hi there.
I´m currently running into some difficulties concerning MODULATION and all it´s resets to zero.
( Might be some external MIDI Stuff sending in the modulation as well - I´ve had this with the USB Connection of a Waldorf Rocket, sending shit to my Moog which made it modulate the filter … different story … ) I exclusively use Non-USB Midi atm which seemed to work fine.
Anyway - here´s what my ambika does: I´m running a cycle of 4 Beats and programm a single bass note. while listening to the note I can clearly hear differences in modulation somewhere. I went through all the ENvs, Mods and stuff and reseted everything to amount zero. The only thing that modulates by now is a filter env on the bass note. But I can still hear some very slow LFO type-of modulation on the filter.
I don´t want to sample my ambika just because of that issue. That´s what I did in 1990…
Does Ambika trigger every note from scratch or has it some sort of moog type free running oscs ? That´s the only reasonable explanation for me atm. Like I said - might be some external shit sending stuff, too.
Challenging task. :slight_smile: Any Ideas ?
Best

is that something that could occur when i´ve had trouble tuning my oscs ???
I mean that fine tune button for a screwdriver …

Lot’s of things could be happening here…
Is you patch set to mono? How many voicecards do you use for the patch? If you more than one voicecard than the filter tuning of the voicecards will always differ. What is you release set to? Maybe it’s just the phasing of notes that overlap.
The step sequencer could be modulating things as well. Check the modmatrix to see what is modulating what.

And what voicecards do yo use?

All synths generally have oscs that carry on running, it’s a lot easier to re-trig than start/stop threads and suffer increased latency.

@ shiftr
The patch is set to 2x unisono. I think …
The release is set to 30 something. The notes don´t come that fast so I shouldn´t affect the following notes… I´m using SRM4 Cards. 6 x SRM4.
I think I checked the complete Mod matrix. Speaking of it… You can only select targets for your modulations here, no amounts. I checked all 14 or 16 Mod Pages and set them to zero amount. So it shouldn´t be a difference what is “targeted” or am I wrong with that ?

@6581punk
what Isn´t a re-trig a new start of the osc ? I mean note on - trig - osc …

by tuning my oscs I meant to tune my filterboards correctly.
I can remember to somehow tuneing em, but that wasn´t as easy as i thought it would be…
I guess I ´m checking the behaviour of that sound with voices set to mono.
Just in case. When I like to full ass sound of unisono instead of mono - is there a way to manage this without having modulation like that ?

> The patch is set to 2x unisono. I think …

How many voicecards are assigned to this part? If the two simultaneous notes are rotating through the 6 voicecards, then you’ll get differences, because each voicecard’s filter is tuned slightly differently (differences in components). If you want notes to repeatedly hit the same voicecards, then it’s best to assign only the required number of voices (say 2) to the part playing the bassline.

Or if you want a totally predictable behaviour, I’m afraid it’s better to use samples, a plug-in or at least a monosynth. To me, variations between voicecards are not a bad thing - this makes polyphonic playing more lively.

Thx Olivier. Will be back in the lab tonight checking the voicecard behaviour.
One question in advance - If I recognize any differences in the voicecards themselves, does that mean that a specific tuning of a filter is the key to make “better” bass sounds ? I hope you understand what I mean… Trying to be more specific - Can I increase bass by tuning the voicecard differently ?
I still believe it´s some LFO type of behaviour. I am having more than 6 notes in that cycle and it only differs after more cycles playing so the voicecards shouldn´t be the issue.
And no, a plug in doesn´t give me the sound your synth does :slight_smile:
I´m running a setup with moog, elektron, waldorf and so on and the ambika is the fattest one speaking of bass. Not even the moog rumbles that badass. Just to let you know :wink:
Some more info - I inserted 10k Transformers on all voicecards. boom

> does that mean that a specific tuning of a filter is the key to make “better” bass sounds

No. The tuning of the filter doesn’t do that. It just sets whether cutoff frequency goes up by 0.99 or 1.01 semitone when you move the cutoff parameter by 1 increment.

> Can I increase bass by tuning the voicecard differently ?

No.

> I am having more than 6 notes in that cycle and it only differs after

Could it simply be the oscillators beating against each others? Which waveform is used and are the two oscillators detuned?

>what Isn´t a re-trig a new start of the osc ? I mean note on – trig – osc …

You can just set its internal variables to new values and let it carry on going.