Help understanding use of vias on Shades v1 PCB

I’m looking at the Eagle .brd file for Shades and I notice there are a handful of vias on the PCB that look like they do not have any traces connecting to them. Can someone help me understand what these are for? I understand that on a four-layer board you might find vias that have no traces on the top or bottom layers - i.e. buried vias and blind vias… But it looks to me like Shades v1 is a two-layer PCB.

Here’s a screenshot where I have circled in yellow the vias that I am wondering about.

They’re for joining the ground planes/pours on the top and bottom. (Run the ratsnest command and it’ll appear a little clearer)

Ah, I see. And after looking more closely in Eagle after adding the ground plane (with ratsnest) I think I understand a little better. I see how one could use vias to establish continuity where there otherwise would be an open circuit in the top and bottom ground planes. But it looks like these vias aren’t necessarily here doing that, or at least not all of them. Looks like some of them are placed redundantly, perhaps providing a shorter path to ground than there otherwise would be?

For example it is not obvious what these ones are doing. Maybe placed redundantly to mitigate EMI or something?