Hello and Question about Yarns

Hi All,

I am new to this board.
Hope you are all well.
I recently got Yarns for my A-100 setup.
The CV works fine in mono but I had a bit of a fight
with the menu system and may have changed
some of the scales/tracking in polyphonic mode.

When I play 2 notes at a time, a chord is played,
but does not track at 1 volt per octave and goes
out of tune, even when I play as single notes.

Watched a few videos on it, but they were not helpful.

I am using 2 ADSRs and 2 Filters and connecting
the CV to the Oscillators and the Gate to the envelopes.

Is there any way to set the unit to its factory defaults ?

Thanks in Advance .

Horace .

When the module is powered on, it loads the settings from program #1 ; so unless you have saved your modifications, powering off and on your modular will restore the default settings.

Thanks for the reply. I think i have inadvertantly saved my odd , non linear pitch settings. Is there some kind of hard reset, or an easy way to use the 4 oscillators in pitch , so they play chords when polayrd together and single notes when played on at a time. I have tried to initialise, but still it plays random chords even on playing one key at a time.

Regards

> or an easy way to use the 4 oscillators in pitch

Are you referring to the 4 oscillators in Yarns, or the oscillators in your modular?

I use the standard VCO’s from Doepfer , Connecting the CV outs from Yarns to the CV ins on the external OSCs. I probably need to callibrate its pitch from the Yarns menu, as I am sure it was working at some point. Problem is i do not know how to do this, and the Sonicstate Video is a bit of a letdown. Shame Nick Batt didn’t do the video . There are so many features on this amazing module, I could get lost. Hopefully will sort out this pitch incorrection thingy, and have my eyes closely on Grid ! : D

Are all VCOs set to the same settings?

What is the LA (YOUT) setting on Yarns?

Yep.
Layout is on 2P.
Sometimes I need to tune an oscilltor (from the VCO) or 2 to get a single note in pitch, put it goes out of pitch when i play up the keyboard. I am sure I must have accidentally changed the tuning of the oscillator CV out Yarns from the Yarns menu . The oscillators do not seem to track properly, but they do track (but in mono), when using the Doepfer Midi > CV Module. However with this I can only play 1 key at a time, but still manage to get octaves or fifths from multilayer the oscillators. I will have another try when I get home from work. Thanks for the advice though .

Tried Again

Layout is 2P
CV out to CV in of OSC 1
CV2 out to CV2 in of OSC 2
both OSC are in tune, and go to mixer, so not even using ADSR or Filter.
using midi out from minibrute to midi in on yarns.
Sometimes alternate notes play ie LED on Yarns CV1 lights, then LED from CV2 lights, with
a missing note in between.

Tried the Quick setup, no luck.
playing alternate notes, which are not in key.

Do I need to adjust some parameters in the CV section or the clock divide section , or the euclidian menu.

Or is this unit faulty ?

Any help would be appreciated .

> Do I need to adjust some parameters in the CV section or the clock divide section , or the euclidian menu.

No.

> Or is this unit faulty ?

If there was a problem, it wouldn’t boot from the first place.

You can return it back to me if you want me to have a look at it (send me a private message to get my address); but it’s probable that it’s just a wrong setting, or you have wrong assumptions about what it should do. For example, when you play notes, it’s normal that they can allocated cyclically to channel 1 and 2.

@Horace wrote:

Layout is 2P
CV out to CV in of OSC 1
CV2 out to CV2 in of OSC 2
both OSC are in tune, and go to mixer, so not even using ADSR or Filter.
using midi out from minibrute to midi in on yarns.
Sometimes alternate notes play ie LED on Yarns CV1 lights, then LED from CV2 lights, with
a missing note in between.

It looks like the CV2 input on these Doepfer VCOs is an attenuated FM input. What happens when you plug CV2 out of the Yarns into the CV1 input on the second VCO (as well as CV1 out of Yarns into CV1 input on the first VCO, of course)?

Good catch!

I’m not just a pretty face…

Hi . Thanks. Tried that already, still the same. The arpeggiator works fine, so I think the tracking is fine. Just as you said, when I play a single note on 2P it plays a dischord, like some kind of FM, and when I play chords, they are not in tune. And yes @pichenettes , I had set the MIDI to cycle, so that problem is now sorted, thanks for that. Maybe I should give the ornament that came with yarns a spin, and see if that solves the problem : D

> when I play a single note on 2P it plays a dischord

Let’s say you just power your modular on.

You play a C1 note.

This C1 note is allocated to output 1. CV Output 1 creates a CV corresponding to the note “C1” (1V), which is sent to oscillator 1. Oscillator 1 plays this note. Gate Output 1 is HIGH while the C1 key is pressed.

Now you release C1 and play a D1 note.

This D1 note is allocated to output 2. Output 2 creates a CV corresponding to the note “D2” (1.12V or something) which is sent to oscillator 2. Oscillator 2 plays this note. Gate Output 2 is HIGH while the D1 key is pressed.

So you will hear C1 on oscillator 1 and D1 on oscillator 2 - but the gates are indicating that oscillator 1 should be off and oscillator 2 should be on.

This is how a synthesizer should behave - so without envelopes and VCAs, it is normal to have two notes going on even when you press a single key.

You might also check that the OS (CILLATOR) setting is OFF. Otherwise, the CV output won’t generate CVs, but instead an already complete audio signal.