Have yourself a 20-years old 8-bit Amiga sample pack; now with 16-bit 44.1 kHz WAVs

Speaking of amiga raw synth trackers, i ripped all the samples out of the Musicline tracker:

Here’s a demo track made by a good friend in FastTracker on the PC using samples from the pack only. This is from back when it was first released. He was and still is a much more talented musician than I’ll ever be.

Look what I just found:

Oh la la!
Hope they still work. I was raised on the old Amiga sound and this grungy aesthetic is something near and dear. Plus the kick-ass tight timing you get in many trackers is still enjoyable.

Current status:

Ah, floppies. Looking forward to what you find on them!

Samples. This whole stack contains my Amiga sample collection from before I got a HDD for the Amiga 1200.

I’m at floppy 29 of 32 with only a single one with bad sectors so far. This KryoFlux board is like magic.

You can try dumping the RAW bit data with some tool. It is escaping my mind right now, sorry. However, it will also correct the errors in the file. You can then just write the data to a new floppy.

@audiohoarder The KryoFlux is as low-level as it gets.

Especially if these are saved without compression, you could very well load the raw disk image in an audio editor and see all the sample data :slight_smile:

Ah, that is good that it does read at the lowest level, but it is bad that it can’t fix it. :frowning:
However, 31 out of 32 floppies with no errors is pretty good!

Try what Oliver suggested. That may work for salvaging as much as possible.

What @pichenettes suggests would indeed work in case I would have been able to read at least something from this disk, but so far I haven’t been able to get so much as a single usable bit from it. I’ll try a different drive and some of the KyroFlux more exotic options next week.

This reminds me of the way you’d grab samples from games in the old days; soft reset, dump the memory to disk after reboot, and then open that in an audio editor to look for waveform data. :slight_smile:

By the way, I’ve found that the best way to make the 44.1kHz 16-bit converted versions sound as close to an actual Amiga as possible is to add just a little bit of low-pass filtering (1-pole if possible) to take away the “hissyness” introduced by the aliasing.

Yes, and you can still use emulators to grab wave data in a similar manner.

I kind of like the “hissy” conversion for the drums - give them extra crunch. However, the files you converted and posted sound much better than the ones Waveosaur was outputting. I wonder if there is a way to add the 1 pole filter to the batch processing?

I remember doing something similar with .MID files once on the DB50XG. I wrote some Amiga tools to edit the patches for the DB50XG (it had no internal patch storage, just working RAM) and I added a function that just read the sysex out of any XG midi file.

I miss those days, not having a job and writing music apps. I did a few tools for Bars and Pipes too.

@6581punk yeah, I did a couple of “rules for tools” as well. And a TX81Z editor in Aztec C amongst other things. Why is it that by the time you can afford cool toys you no longer have time to play with them?

I’ve used SoX to convert the samples. They might sound better because SoX is very good at applying appropriate dithering where needed and because it has been around for so long. Also, I took care to normalize and adjust the playback speed where needed (the drum sounds and loops will probably play back incorrectly otherwise).

Filtering could be applied during conversion, but I do think it’s better to use your ears and apply this where you feel it’s needed. Also, for bass sounds and kicks you might want to adjust the filter cutoff with an envelope.

I guess an approach as described here could work, but it does seem to depend on the playback rate, so it will always be an approximation.

The best way to get a really authentic sound would be to use your Amiga. I’d recommend OctaMed since it has excellent MIDI support. :slight_smile:

6581punkdeadmonkey Yeah, I remember the Amiga fondly as well. As much as I enjoy this RetinaMacBookProNeXTstation, nothing will ever come close to my first Amiga 500.

Also, my first website ever was for a freeware Amiga app

Can SyX be configured to send with a 250ms pause between packets? If so, can I add a mention to it in the user manuals?