Have yourself a 20-years old 8-bit Amiga sample pack; now with 16-bit 44.1 kHz WAVs

Finally found the time to properly archive the only remaining set of 12 DD Amiga floppy disks containing the sample pack I made and sold during the early 90s. Amazingly, none of the 12 disks failed. Download it from https://archive.org/details/SampleSource in all of its 8SVX glory.

You can still load the samples right into a modern-day tracker such as ReNoise (all instruments are sampled at C3, except for the drum sounds which are sampled at F3 for that slightly higher bitrate). Anything else will probably require conversion. Original documentation (Dutch only, sorry) and example MODs are included.

Anyway, this is probably not of any practical use unless you suffer from a severe case of nostalgia. :wink:

EDIT: For your convenience, I’ve now also included the samples converted to 16-bit WAVs with the base note at 44.1kHz.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing… grabbing! This will be great food for Littlegptracker!

I know one person who WILL be using them…

A few additional notes: The samples in the “Acid” directory are all the same patch at different cutoff frequency values (q1 to q8/q12/q16) and one that also comes at four resonance settings (“Raw”).

The samples in the “Chord” directory were created to work around the 4-channel hardware limitation of the original Amiga by providing the same sound sampled as the base note only (these have a “0” at the end of the name), and as different chords (with “36”, ”37”, “38”, “39”, “47”, “48”, “49” at the end of the name) where the two numbers refer to the distance from the base note to the first and second note in the chord in semitones. Some of these samples also come in different gate lengths which can be recognized by the additional “.1”, “.2”, ”.4”, and “.8” extensions.

Also, here’s the logo:

Oh wow- this is amazing. I really miss life in low res. simpler times.

Very nice! Will try it asap. :slight_smile:

+1 if it’s a plasma cloud.

+2 if this is a mandelbrot set.

Mandelbrot set on the disk, plasma cloud on the type. Also, since this was on the Amiga, the palette is actually supposed to cycle.

Here’s a ReNoise render of one of the old single-channel acid demos: http://stuff.vandervossen.net/temporary/AcidDemo.mp3

MODs and demos were the thing before people watched cat videos on youtube.

The good old days! Beats playing with stick figures and pine cones.

Those were the days… before dubstep! :wink:

The gauge of how good you were as a coder was all about how many sprites you could get moving around on the screen :slight_smile:

Well this is great! I’m glad that you were able to make reliable backups after so long.

I would recommend Wavosaur for converting these samples to WAV files. Just open it, click save as and it will automatically save it as a WAV. Nifty.
I have only converted a few files but they sound fresh from the Amiga. I will have to try making a wavetable from the 303 kit.

@audiohoarder For the man who has everything - Ambika voicecard daughter-board with switchable AVRs full of Amiga sample sets… It should be made is all I’m saying. I don’t actually have one :slight_smile:

I miss my Amiga. Sigh. Thanks T2K!

@mtapp: When MI makes something like that, I will be right on board.

@t2k: If I were you, I would take a couple choice drum hits form these samples and re-release them. Just need to convert them and pitch them back up. the Oberhiem and Linn samples are probably my favorite in the entire set - so far. The other drum samples also sound good and gritty.
You may want to do that before too many people get a hold of these and convert the samples.
Just my two cents.

More than you ever wanted to know about the Amiga audio system and how to emulate it.

I don’t hear any Kawai K3 samples in there? Those Kawai samples were spread everywhere in the demoscene.

I never owned an Amiga myself, I had to borrow from friends whenever I went to parties. And my first tracker was on a Mac: PlayerPro. So I can’t really claim that I ever was hardcore.

Nevertheless: Thanks for sharing this!

@deadmonkey You can actually get an Amiga 500 or 1200 second hand in decent shape for next to nothing these days. Most of them are still fine, partly because they didn’t have a leaky clock battery on the mainboard like the more expensive models. Get this thing and you’ll even be able to use the Amiga 1200 with a modern LCD display.

@audiohoarder With this release, the whole set is now in the public domain. I’m fine with anyone doing whatever they want with the samples. FWIW, the best way to convert these would actually be to play them back on an actual Amiga and sample that output so that they really sound as close as “intended” on 16-bit gear. Another option would be to convert them using the method described in the article I link to above.

@C14ru5 Most of the samples on here were recorded specifically for this pack and I didn’t have access to a Kawai K3 at that time. :slight_smile: