Grids: programming custom sequences?

Hello!
Im enjoying my new (used) Grids, and think it would be awesome to have it so I can program custom patterns.
I came across this video:

The things is im really far away from understanding programming and find it hard to even imagining myself doing all those steps.
I was wondering if there is a simpler way? Or maybe someone has already developed software that has all those steps made automatic with a user Interface that is aimed for musicians instead of programmers.
Also, it says it needs a special hardware to interface with Grids, is this correct? Or is there other way via USB or any of the audio or CV inputs?

thanks !!

Grids accepts firmware updates by audio, so the most accessible way would be for someone to create a web app that generates an audio firmware file. The app could let the user enter the data, would directly patch the firmware file, and would offer a download (or play the file in the browser).

But if you step back a little…

It is a complicated process because it has never been my intention to make Grids programmable. Even if the process of copying the actual data to the module was made simpler, what would be the point, since programming a “sequence” (it’s never a sequence – it is thresholds interacting with the FILL knobs, constructed so that interpolation between adjacent elements is meaningful). Of course people are doing it because it’s feasible - what we don’t know is how it ultimately makes the module more useful, enjoyable etc.

Stepping back more…

If you want to program a sequence with Grids, program it on a regular drum sequencer and don’t use Grids!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!
So, its hard and needs to have a special app be programmed as I though, but possible.

My idea is to have the sequences I tend to program from normal sequencers, as you mentioned, but also have the possibility for them to become more complex or more simple, in a predictable way.
I can program those sequences with a normal sequencer, and then run them thru Branches or Integra Funkitus, but the order in which the beats will be removed will be random. With Branches algorithm, the steps disappear in a predictable fashion. For example a Kick sequence can go from 0 steps, to just in the “1” to “1” and “dotted 1/4” to etc etc… Actually that is precisely how Grids works, but I rather works from the patterns of the genres I tend to program.

Right now im using Grids for light percussion, and find it best to leave the Kick and Snare to the normal sequencer, but would love to have those with the Grids algorithm.

I’ve been looking into this idea as well. Currently I’m envisioning a custom firmware that expands on the option to change between regular and Euclidean modes, adding custom table options there.

I think to start I am going to try and develop a map based on Afro-Latin rhythms. Then I’d like to build another map based on Hindustani music.

Using all six of the trigger outputs independently is another idea I had, but would be much more of an undertaking I imagine.

I ordered a USB programmer and think I’m going to use this as a long overdue excuse to learn how to code :grinning: I’ll certainly keep anyone interested informed of my progress and share anything that comes out of it.

1 Like

Nice!
What do you have in mind for the 6-output trigger? Would they respond in pairs with the same complexity/density knob?

Im thinking that the extra channels (“acc” now) can have some kind oof logic related to the associated channel. For example the HH channel can have its table than chooses only steps that are not being triggered in the normal output.

I have a few ideas but am pretty far off from being able to experiment with that part.

If I am able to implement something like this though I would likely abandon the BD/SD/HH/accents scheme for my modes and maybe have channels like BD/SD, High/Low Congos or Timbales, and HH/Cowbell for the Afro-Latin mode, or six different bols for the Hindustani mode.

How these would interact with the Fill knobs might not be as straightforward as in the regular mode though. Maybe they could act more like the bias knob on the T section of Marbles, and the chaos knob could be repurposed as an overall pattern density control.