Grids + Midi

that would be awesome thanks

Is the code still available or do you have more plans for it on other devices;)

Hi everybody, I have an Hexinverter Midi2CV interface which provides an onboard optional out –called midi chain– It’s an unbuffered link from the midi in post-octocupler.
I’d like to wire it behind the panel to to feed sync to Grids midi in (maybe with an optional switch).
Is the hand drawn circuit below likely to have significant errors that might bring to blow everything up?

No need for another optocopler. It should even work without the extra buffer. I would try it first with a simple two wire connection.

second cj55. Direct connection should work for this short link.

thanks so much for pointing this out guys - running this mod without issue via simply adding a pin header to the rear of grids and slinging two wires to the aforementioned port on the hex module. it’s super convenient to have this onboard. i’ve been meaning to cobble up an expander panel for ages, but it was an awkward 2hp to place in my case - i hated tying up the divider on yarns solely to drive grids (the hex module is a backup / does duty when yarns is otherwise occupied in a patch). lazy patchmanship perhaps; but it’s really lovely having grids timed up and at the ready when opening a daw session as the midi2cv syncs up to the first signal it receives when booted. while i was in there i also hitched up a midi pigtail via a cable wired to the pins on the din socket at the module’s rear in order to snake the cable behind panel to a socket and into the yarns out…

Is the midi in clock of higher priority than the internal clock gererator?
Today I’m using the channel 12 of CVpal to feed a 24ppqn trigger to clock input (but it doesn’t feel right to have that USB-cable any more).
The trig sync is active when tempo controller is turned to zero, is it the same for midi sync?

> Is the midi in clock of higher priority than the internal clock gererator?

Whenever a signal is received on the clock input or on the MIDI input, the pattern steps forward by one tick. Which means that when if internal clock is active, sending a MIDI clock will just make things run faster.

Here’s a close up of some strip board for the Grids Midi expansion.

I am logged in but I don’t see it. Is it possible to point me to the mentionned screenshot please?

EDIT: I built the midi like in the schematic posted by Olivier but it does work (Grids does not power and it makes a high pitched bip noise). The strip board would help me understand what I did wrong.

Connecting pin 8 & 6 with 220R is something I don’t understand. for instance…

EDIT: a pull-up resistor?

Having this resistor between 6 & 8 or not, n my 6N1238 I have a signal at PIN1,2,3,4. Nothing on 6 or 8 :frowning:

This is how I did:

I you can spot the error I did…

EDIT 16.09.2018: OK. New 6N138 arrived. Works great. So it was the component.

MidiGrids firmware is available for MidiGAL hardware. It has the same brain as original MI Grids, however its output is MIDI notes. This allows you do drive MIDI drum machines and samplers.

Due to the limited UI available on MidiGAL, it’s best to control MidiGrids using your controller’s CC knobs. You’ll need 8 of then: 4 x for Track 1-4 fill density (MidiGrids is 4 channel), MapX/MapY, Chaos and Accent. Controlling MidiGrids with MidiGAL’s single encoder and switch is also possible, but not as convenient as having 8 controls available instantly.

This works wonderfully with Elektron Digitakt – just set up 8 MIDI Controller knobs and feed them into MidiGrids MIDI IN, then send MidiGrids output to Digitakt MIDI IN. Lots of fun in a compact setup :wink:

Here’s the MidiGrids 1.00 firmware download:
https://midisizer.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/midigrids_100.zip

Best,
/Peter