Grids is not triggering Intellijells Plonk correctly

Hello there

I just got Plonk and I can’t get the 2 modules to work properly. Plonk randomly skips triggers from grids. If I trigger Plonk straight from Pamela’s workout it works like a charm… so it must be some interaction between grids and plonk thats off.

Any ideas how to remedy this problem?

Thanks

d.

1 Like

Have you tried changing the outputs to Gates rather than Triggers (default)?

Trig / Gate output

By default, Grids produces trigger signals (short 1ms pulses). This behavior - which is recommended for 808 or 909-like sound modules - can be changed in order to produce gate signals more suitable for controlling envelopes or other modules’ CV inputs. In this case, the output stays high for the whole duration of the clock’s positive cycle. It is thus possible to alter the gate length by driving Grids from a clock module with a duty cycle parameter (or from a square VCO with pulse-width control). The internal clock has a fixed 50% duty cycle. To change the trig/gate configuration, turn C2 (MAP Y).

LEDs off: Outputs are triggers.
LEDs on: Outputs are gates.
2 Likes

that did the trick! thanks a lot!

Hi
How do you find the combination of Grids and Plonk. I’m after some groove to go with my Elektron Rytm.
This will be my first modular (did own an 0-coast). To get me started would I just need;

Plonk
Grids
Yards (so I can send clock from Rytm)

Thanks heaps!

Using gate mode instead of trig solves things for Plonk but not for Morphagene (same issue), because we need a trig and not a long gate that will enable playing multiple samples occurences instead of a single. Is there any software update for Grids with 2 or 4ms trig ?

Firmware update file for 5ms triggers.

grids.wav.zip (26.2 KB)

3 Likes

What ? Geeee… Thank you so much ! Was it extremely short or anti-causal ?

make -f grids/makefile wav

1 Like

Whoa! Nice! This update will allow the Grids + Plonk + Shades combo to work as a full drum kit! Very exciting.

Awesome i juste found that , unfortunatly I need 25mS trigger, so 2 question:

i assume , as pichenettes show , i need to change the kPulseDuration number, by simple multiplication, i thinck i nedd to enter , 32 , is that corect ?

And last but not least , how did you compil this fils (and witch ? all the githurb ?) to audio fils ?
btw i was thinking it was impossible to upload grids by audio fils and i was realy scare of the boot loader rapid hole.

The main clock is at 8kHz, 8 is for 1 ms, 200 is for 25 ms.

make -f grids/makefile wav from the Mutable Instruments dev environment.

1 Like

So after folowing the turorial i was able to modify the grids firmware :partying_face:
For thos futur noob ,like me, reading this and try to modify grids firmware :
Folow the turorial on githurb, look complicated but it’s way easier that its look.
Juste dl all this fils instal both new program and start using your terminal consol.

During my test for longeur trigger, i found some value (like 256 or 280 of kpulsduration) grids will not output trigger (gate will work) i don’t know why.

En tout cas merci Émilie pour ton aide :slight_smile:

The trigger duration has to be less than the duration of a clock pulse.

For a resolution of 24 ppqn at 120 BPM → 48 pulses per second → maximum duration of 20.833ms.

Hmmm ok its more clear now, my end solution will be perhaps a gate strecher .