Great First Beginner's Project

I ordered this great little beginner’s kit from Amazon, and I highly recommend it for anyone who is new to DIY synths. Not only do you get a little project to practice your soldering skills (the circuit board even includes a little section just for practicing on) but it comes with a 15 page booklet with the basics of electronic circuits, worksheets, and even a little quiz at the end! Just wanted to share that for any fellow noob’s :wink:

Is it a Lufthansa alarm? I need to install an air raid alarm in the home to wake up the wife for work.

oO - 15 pages for that thingie ?

Looks cool for the absolute beginners.

For people who had their first contact with a soldering iron but still need a little middle level thing to make before a Shruthi, I think the bleeplabs bleep drum is cool, plus it is something you can borderline-use for music making later on, what with the possibility of hacking some midi into it.

I have 98% of my electronic knowledge from the ancestor of this Kit

Honestly highly recommended if you ever wondered what these 595s 165s 7400s are good for.

MB-6582! If you can’t be arsed to slap one together you’re never going to succeed at building electronic stuff. Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people!

Naa, in all seriousness there’s great stuff like the MFOS Sound Lab mini synth to get you started.

@nightworxx - the 15 page booklet isn’t just the build instructions, it explains what resistors, capacitors, etc. are, what the different colored bands mean, has a couple of worksheets to fill out for practice, and a quiz at the end. Quite comprehensive, which is why I am impressed with it and thought it worth sharing.

@Varthdader - Bleep Labs has some very cool stuff for a second project, I hadn’t seen the Bleep Drum yet but that does look interesting. I’m thinking that, the Pico Paso, or maybe even the Nebulophone with a home made full size keyboard for a second project.

The pico paso was my first build and it makes some BALLSY noises. I put it through my shruthi filter for some nice hard dance lines and robot farts. I’d kill for a bleep drum and the skills necessary to midify it

I have just finished the blip drum and I am delighted.

It is small, portable, battery operated and makes cool sounds (albeit retro).

I love walking and fiddling with it while enjoying the sounds through my headphones.

Plus, although I have no clue yet how, having a possibility of expansion in the future makes it slightly more than a toy.

It´s ATMega based, and I guess that getting the DamDrum 2 sounds flashed there should be impossible either, since firmware for it is also available to download, for whoever wants.

+1000 for bleep labs!

i recently built two bleep drums, love that kit! it really gave me the confidence to order a shruti, which is why i am now on these forums :slight_smile:

i also built a kit from that elenco company, that was my first “real” build

@Varthdader : I was actually curious about changing the firmware of the bleep drum (maybe even keeping several ATMega around with different firmware loaded…). Have you seen the Dam Drum’s code somewhere ?
[edit] I just found the first damdrum’s code on Beep lab’s website, no clue for the Damdrum 2 though.

I was going to say shruthi-1 but I guess that’s a bit redundant 8)

bleep drum may not be great for music production without the midi hack, but i have gotten a lot of use out of it by sampling the sucker and building drum kits out of it. really adds something unique to my drum sets

Here´s the DamDrum 2 code:
https://bleeplabs.com/store/the-bleep-drum/

Right under the presentation video there´s a download link.

Bonus for whoever posts info on how to flash a ATMega with it and transform a Bleepdrum into a DamDrum 2!

Double Bonus on whoever is first at hacking Midi into it!

Triple Bonus to whoever concocts any interaction between the Bleepdrum and Shruthi/Ambika!

Bleep labs is supposed to be releasing software to convert .wav into text so our own noises can be used

@fcd72 Conrad kit looks cool too. +1 for being in Deutsch!

@ChadPMIK it says its a two tone European alarm. Is it a Lufthansa alarm?

@dkMode sorry, I didn’t realize that was a real question, so much silliness on this forum :stuck_out_tongue: I’m from the States so I don’t really know what a Lufthansa alarm is. I haven’t had a chance to do much more than peruse the included tutorials yet. I have to finish up a few carpentry projects before I can start a new hobby. I post about my projects here. I have a feeling that’s going to morph into a “building synths” blog so gradually you’ll hardly even notice it (rip on an obscure Simpson’s quote)

@dkMode I recorded a little bit of the alarm, you can download it here

The pitch of the alarm changes, going up in frequency when the volume is turned down. If you want a high quality sample that can be arranged, I just used my Macbooks built in mic to record this so you might hear my dog chomping away in the background. Samples of my dog eating or snoring can also be arranged.

So yes, I did finish building this thing. I thought I was going to get a lesson in troubleshooting when the siren didn’t warble and one of the LCDs didn’t light up, but I realized that there was one more resistor that hadn’t been mentioned in the instructions, but the PCB was labeled for it. Wired it up and it worked a treat. My soldering was a little sloppy and bulbous in a few places, I’m glad I had something simple like this to practice on first, I could tell my technique was getting faster and cleaner by the end. Next up, the Pico Paso. It’ll be awhile though as we’re jumping across the pond for a visit to the UK in early May.