Getting started with case design

Thanks for the input, guys. I’ve designed cases/interfaces with other software, but never started from someone else’s already mostly complete design. I’ll do the tutorials and see if I’m feeling better about it.

Schrab, that might be really cool!

@Silverfish
I have 2 Kinds of extend cases readily available, you may contact me via eMail anytime…

There should be a tutorial files installed with it. They are .svg files that will give you the basics. Look in ./Share/Tutorials. Otherwise, it is like any other drawing program. For enlarging use the select tool. Arrow keys also work for accurate editing. And, yes, it is very temperamental.

Get some cardboard (approx 3mm thick) and a sharp knife. Making a mock up can be a lot easier. Then draw it up after.

A famous F1 racing car designer still uses a paper drawing board as no CAD system beats a nice big drawing board.

i can make a little tuttorial about case design, but not how to use inkscape.

Working on an Anushri case using these instructions, really takes all day but with your input I’m doing stuff I’d never thought about in Illustrator as I’ve never touched it.

Really impressive Synthdrome !

Hi all. i ended up doing a 3 u rack for my shruthi… and sort of made it look like the ppg ill never be able to own. i also added some extra things… after a whole pile of custom enclosures now for synths and sequencersss… i can say one thing… the more room the better (if your design/function allows for it.) heres a pic of the shruthi (which i called the “monowave” version since i have planned and prototyped an internal way to select filters with no physicality.

the advice i can offer on case design is probubly really diy minded. i do all the sheet metal work and machining myself. so i like to sort of have a list of requirements that need to happen physically first… then play with jacks, pots, connectors and whatever else is needed for it to function in its purpose and space. also a parameter to keep in mind is where your hands are in comparison to where and cables and connections are. i usually do a cardboard mock up first to check sizings and measurements. measure not twice, but thrice. from 2 different spots.:slight_smile: i use just a regular cheap jigsaw to cut all metals and a small bench top drill press (89.00 usd) to do all maching/drilling of panels and plates. if im using rack a format i like to opt for pre cut and drilled blank aluminum rack panels. if custom sizing is needed, i like to use 16th inch aluminum sheets or if it need to longer spans (over say 18") ill use 1/8 aluminum. id say do any maching (if doing your own) as early in the process as you can. then assemble. dont make the mistakes i have of being eager and assembling parts and then trying to machine even small holes… ugh. terrible idea. i do the control panels as digital laminate print out overlays. you can get control panel overlays on line and i happened to find a place here in pittsburgh (usa) that will do them here for me. for very reasonable costs. i get 2 print outs : 1 black and white with all machining/layout/mechanical info on it and then the real one that will be what you see. i use very light tack spray adhesive to do the b&w panel. then after all parts have been fit/drilled/tapped/filed out i remove whats left of the machineing overlay and carefully align the ral one while holding the plate and overlay up to a bright window to see the center marks of each opening on the overlay… then i tape the top edge of the panel to the overlay very very very well after its exactly where i want it. (hopefully in line with all ive done) the tape allows you to flip the ooverlay up to access its rear face… and hold its registration. si then i coat the panel front and rear of the overlay with 3M super 77 adhesive. i coat it moderately. not heavy… not light. ill let it all set up and tack for about 5-7 minutes then roll it slowly and carefully accross the panel working out any bubles or issues. then after its all in place, and situated where it should be … i use a brayer (soft rubber roller and handle) to make sure its all good and flat. it worked well now for several large projects. i then use a dremel with a trianglular router attachments to cut away the overlay where it shouldnt be and an xacto to trin long edges very crisply and sharply after the glue has dried well. hope this helps anyone who may want to avoid paying for cnc’ing, or wants to do it all themselves…

your shruthi rack looks awesome, synthdrome!

@synthdrome: where do you get pre cut and drilled blank aluminum rack panels?

@Peter : check at Front Panel Express

Edit : Fail

Oh man, that rack case is freaking sweet…love the PPG inspired look! That screen is damn nice also…where to find it??

hey all. i just used a 3 u aluminum rack panel. i cut the faceplates myself and do all the machining. i drill them out just uder sized of the openings and then use a dremel and file to get the openings to where they need to be. thanks all!

i got the oled from jameco. its a newhaven OLED. its a super large format. it was about 35 bucks.