Generating grains at quantized pitches

I could imagine the v/oct input could capture notes ( limited numbers of pitches or a given time where pitch cv can be recorded) and store them as the only available pitches for the grains. Like offering pitches the grains can choose from. Just my 2 cent

1 Like

Can’t you achieve that with Marbles? Lock a sequence on the X outputs and turn the Deja vu knob past 12’o clock?

Guess so, dont own marbles, but i think you would change the pitch of all grains, afaik.

No, this is not how Beads work.

Please take a moment to read this very important paragraph of the manual:

Four parameters control at which buffer position, pitch, and with which duration and envelope the grains are replayed.

More precisely, these parameters and their respective modulations are read once, whenever a grain starts , and remain unchanged throughout the duration of the grain. If a parameter then changes, it will only impact the next grain.

So if you send a sequence (eg, at a fast rate unrelated to the grain seeding rate) into the PITCH input, each grain will pick, when it starts, whatever note the sequence is currently playing, and will then stay at that note. Effectively, Beads will sample (in a pseudo-random way) from the distribution of pitches present in the sequence.

You can thus use an external sequencer, quantizer, arpeggiator, or even Marbles to constrain the pitches at which Beads’ play grains.

I hope you’ll understand better why a built-in quantizer might be a nice addition, but a rather unnecessary one as this can be easily patched outside of the module.

2 Likes