Frank Daniels Programmer Alim (Totally DERAILED)

Hi,

When using the Shruthi-1 with the Frank Daniels Programmer, the 7805 is sufficient to power it or Is it better to add 5V power?

Philippe.

The 7805 will gladly power your Shruhti and the Programmer, given your Wallwart delivers enough Current.

@fcd72,
Thank Frank,
I hope that 7805 is not a “steak grill” in this configuration…:slight_smile:
Philippe.

Nay…
7805 can deliver a peak current of 2200mA so the first thing that comes in trouble when connecting a Programmer is your WallWart.

It depends on which 7805 you have? I think the 78S05 is the 2A one?

How many Shruthis, FilterBoards, Programmers do you want to power with a SIngle 78(S)05 ???!?

Is that a rhetorical question?

Dont trust my Advices anyway, I just got the “Epic Failure of the Day” Award: my shiny new Soldering Station was delivered and i thought id have tons of solder in stock. Turns out its 12cm…

>How many Shruthis, FilterBoards, Programmers do you want to power with a SIngle 78(S)05 ???!?

One? but the standard 7805 (CV?) is 1.5A. I imagine the rating is slightly reduced without a heatsink?

@fcd72

What kind of soldering station did you get? I’ve got an old USA-made Weller WE-50. I’ve been thinking about getting a Hakko if it ever dies.

Also, don’t you order solder by the pound? How do you EVER run out of it?

I got this one by recommendation. It heats super fast, is ESD Proof, (60W @ 24V), replacement Parts are cheap as Candy and it runs for 2 years in a Lab without any hassle 10hrs a day - an achievement many Wellers can’t match. It has a nice Sleep mode when unused, dimming the Temp down to 200°C.

And yes, thats exactly the method i ran out, i always put it on a smaller 50g coil and have the feeling i have plenty left… and totally forgot to order new because i have plenty left.

Yeah Weller is not what it once was. I am hoping the older ones are a little better (it has held up fine and it’s 10+ years old) and that’s what’s preventing me from ordering a freaking cool digital one like yours. It’s the bomb!

Zhongdi, the name doesn’t inspire confidence, but if it works then who cares who made it.

As for ESD safe, I’ve had no problems with the station I have and I’ve soldered joints with the chips in.

I have this one from Maplins:

Solder station

Man that one is nice too? WTF is with all these shiny cool digital soldering stations? What ever happened to one switch to turn it on and then you touch it to your tongue to see if it’s hot yet?

Anyone follow Syntegrator? His videos are great. Step by step disassembly and repair complete with gaffs pitfalls etc. Well anyhow, he has this cool solder-suction-desolder thingy that doesn’t require you to change wands/tips. Now THAT would be cool.

I hear ya with the decline of the Weller civilization. I purchased this guy several months ago. Everything about it is awesome. I takes about 30 seconds to reach temp and has a “temp lock”. But, every so often, it shuts down. Not timing out, which it does, but, when I’m in the middle of soldering. I have to turn it off then back on again. Kinda bummed. But, I do love the feel of it.

I also just ordered a pound of solder. I should get back into circuit bending every little thing I can find so I can justify having an industrial sized spool of solder.

“Man that one is nice too? WTF is with all these shiny cool digital soldering stations? What ever happened to one switch to turn it on and then you touch it to your tongue to see if it’s hot yet?”

Haha, the “Analog vs Digital” debate has migrated to soldering. I feel the analog soldering stations give digital synths a more warmer coloring tone.

I have a spare solder station. I bought one on ebay and the seller send me the wrong one. I was about to send it back and he deleted the item and so I can’t raise a complaint. I guess I should list it on ebay to recoup the cost.

I wanted an ESD safe one, but I’ve not had any problems so I’m not that bothered about that now.

I wonder what the ESD-safe really means with respect to a soldering iron? A foamy insulation on the wand? I mean that’s all the ESD-safe part of the ESD-safe tweezers seems to be.

There is no question that the electromagnetic wave (which is also composed of particles) created by my analog soldering station has more bass. It’s thicker, phatter, and has less aliasing.

BTW, this one seems to be unusually expensive and cool-looking. The little brother analog 888 model is < $100 and seems to be almost as cool-looking.

It means the materials used dissipate the static. I’m pretty sure you can do the same by wearing an anti-static wristband when soldering.

@6581punk - I get that, but what materials? All the materials? Or are they just insulating something obvious, like the wand? I’m not saying there’s no point to it or that it doesn’t work, I’m just wondering what it is exactly that they change in an ESD-safe iron. Know what I mean?

Interesting: The Hakko 888 is listed as ESD-safe, the 951 is apparently not…