Frames Presets

Hi All,

I just got Frames, which I love.

Given that you can sequence it, I’m starting to wonder about doing so more precisely and even manually playing a sequence. Let’s say I have four presets. Is there any way to figure out which voltage will trigger which preset? I’ve got a KMI QuNexus keyboard and am trying to figure out how to “play” Frames with the keyboard. I can sort of do it but the 1v/oct pitch choices are a little wonky–I’m not sure what range they’re supposed to cover or how Frames interprets incoming voltages (other than “more” or “less”). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

> I’m not sure what range they’re supposed to cover or how Frames interprets incoming voltages (other than “more” or “less”)

When the big FRAME knob is at its minimum position, and when the MODULATION attenuverter is at its maximum position, a voltage of +5V on the FRAME CV input is equivalent to setting the FRAME knob to its maximum position. A voltage of +2.5V is equivalent to setting the FRAME knob to its middle position.

Thanks for the reply! It seems like my odds of landing in-between presets using this method would be pretty high. Would there be a way to select a specific preset in sequencer mode? And, relatedly, is there a way to do more complex sequences in sequencer mode, or will it only go forward? Obviously, I can LFO the input when it’s not in sequencer mode, but then I’ll get lots of in-between frames even if I’m using stepped voltages….

Also, I also posted this query on MW, but the 5 or 10v offset got me thinking – most things in my rig want 0-5v, a few inputs here or there go up to 8 or 10. Am I better off with the 5 to be safe? For some modules, I couldn’t find preferred input CVs in the specifications or manuals – including Braids and Frames… (Clouds says it wants 0-5v, but of course I’m eagerly awaiting that one–don’t have it yet).

My full rack is here: http://cdn.modulargrid.de/img/racks/modulargrid_143385.jpg

> Would there be a way to select a specific preset in sequencer mode?

No. One thing that could work for your situation is to use “stepped” interpolation for all channels.

> And, relatedly, is there a way to do more complex sequences in sequencer mode, or will it only go forward?

Sequencer is something people have requested but I personally strongly disagree with the existence of this feature.

It really looks like you are using Frames for something it was not intended for. This is not a “preset” or “voltage” recall module - this is a module for interpolating/crossfading between sounds or CVs.

> Am I better off with the 5 to be safe?

An out of range CV causes clamping/saturation, it doesn’t destroy anything.

Thanks again. Don’t misunderstand me–I just haven’t had any questions about the INTENDED uses (other than the voltage range)–they’re all perfectly clear and work great.

Kidding aside, I’m trying to get it to do the work of two modules–the CV interpolation it’s intended for and something like a CV sequencer or selector (this Synthwerks 4x4 or Pressure Points minus pressure).

I think the “step” interpolation will work for what I want, though only for that one purpose.

I’m REALLY looking forward to the arrival of my Clouds.