Forbes: The Analog Economy

Small Firms Are Making Big Bucks In The Analog Economy

By which standard are Korg and most of the other companies mentioned in the article “small firms” ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Forbes’.

You sir, have a point.

Yeah, the only “small firm” mentioned is Macbeth. This article is a bit out of touch.

I find it quite interesting that such a geeky topic is mentioned in a large audience magazine like that!

Every gentleman should have a Shruthi in their cigar room :wink:

It just shows that those guys looking to put a bit of entertainment spin on a tech article are behind the curve. A little mainstream exposure never hurts, except it would be way bad if kids were given Shruthis as their first kit to solder = support nightmare.

Like it or not, but the Forbes readers are also part of a society that suddenly decided to make what’s now EDM in the popular vernacular mainstream. Plus, rather they get a load of this than idolizing the Wolf of Wall St.

My grad school was across the street from Forbes Mag’s HQ in NY. It’s no surprise some of the writers are tuned into this stuff- they’re definitely square in the nerd category- just like Steve Forbes!

Forbes has been sneaking in electronic culture pieces for a few months now including one about the top paid EDM djs or some other nonsense

forbes djs

Someone just expensed a bunch of tip top modules on the forbes credit card.

No offense, but why is this in the market?

Analog economy? Market? But yeah, maybe this is something completely different…

Discussion moved.

“…an unprecedented craze for EDM (Electronic Dance Music) in the US, which has repackaged thirty years of British music history into a high octane rave culture.”

That’s a pretty glib interpretation, no? Perhaps it’s the British author throwing a jab at America’s “bro-ification” of electronic music?

Anyway, it’s cool that this article is appearing in Forbes, but like most stuff I read today, it’s pretty basic, and wanders around for 1000 words before throwing the point in the last paragraph. It’s no wonder the internet is leaving print media in the dust.

Yeah the author makes a few broad statements that rang false for me, like needing a “physics degree” to program FM. I understand hyperbole is a part of (new) journalism, but it’s best not used to intensify common misconceptions about something.

FM is considered “impossible to program” because most people didn’t own a computer or have any experience with a user interface so their learning curve was very steep and mostly unrelated to FM synthesis in general.

And I do love how the author is comfortable casting aside 20 years of electronic music in America (some of it became genres that were mostly picked up by people the the UK- especially in the 2000s). I suppose we still haven’t figured out how to form our own culture- since 1776! We need to try harder, dammit!