Firmware modification to easily reset Braids

Hi, I teach modular synthesis at an art school and we’ve had students leave our Braids in awkward settings. I want to make a change to the firmware so that it will reset to Init settings on power up, add a Reset feature in the Menu or reset on extra long press etc. That way the next students to come into the lab will not have to navigate through the whole menu to init.

I’ve got an environment up for building the firmware. I’ve made some changes to scales in the past but due to my lack of coding experience, I’m not sure how to approach this particular problem. I’m looking at the Settings.cc file and this looks like the best place to start working.

Any suggestions from folks familiar with this area of the code would be greatly appreciated!

Well, seems I got it to reset to Intit values on power up work by changing the settings.cc file.

void Settings::Init() {
if (!storage.ParsimoniousLoad(&data_, &version_token_))

to

void Settings::Init() {
if (storage.ParsimoniousLoad(&data_, &version_token_))

Edit: looks like this resets calibration data too…

There’s a shortcut to factory settings by long-pressing on the version menu item so you could also add it there. To preserve the calibration data, you’ll need to stash the pitch_cv_offset, pitch_cv_scale and fm_cv_offset parts of Settings::settings_data, Reset(), then re-apply them. Similarly at startup, do the ParsimoniousLoad first, then you have the calibration data.

If you look at the Bees-in-the-trees code bennelong.bicyclist has a tweaked Settings::Reset implementation that optionally preserves calibration, and I have a similar mechanism for something I hope to release in the next few days that will probably be useful…

Thanks! I should have thought to look at Bees in the Trees.

Using Bees’ example, I’ve got it auto-reseting on power up and preserving the calibration data.

Now on to Parasites Clouds and Warps!

Where is this art school? sounds pretty cool :slight_smile:

I cut my teeth on an E-mu modular at the sound art program at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. They’ve maintained that system and I think they have Eurorack now too. They also had a Sandin Image Processor.

Now I teach in a sound design program at Savannah College of Art and Design in Southeastern US. We got a Doepfer basic system back in the early 2000’s and built from there. There aren’t many of those modules left in our rack.