External piezo for ears?

Hello,

i was thinking it would be nice to attach a piezo to a cable to connect to ears to have someting that can be used a bit further away from the rack. I have some piezos lying around but measuring them with a scope while tapping on them gives voltage peaks up to 40V - should i try to externally limit incoming voltages to avoid possible damage to ears input ?

No, it’s the job of the module to handle that!

Related question:

Suppose I waterproof a piezo and go all Tomoko Sauvage with it, submerging it in water. In the event that my waterproofing is poorly done, will I cook Ears, my synth, myself, or my audience? Assuming the piezo is plugged directly into Ears?

Waterproofing will be done with the liquid rubber one can buy for tool handles, as recommended by Nic Collins in “Handmade Electronic Music”.

No. There would be a risk if the module sent current to the piezo. But the module only amplifies whatever voltage is generated by the piezo. If you damage the piezo, you’ll be amplifying 0V.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation it makes perfect sense!

You don’t need to waterproof a piezo disc. You might want to do something to reinforce the places where the wires are soldered to the disc though, to make it a bit more robust, so using some kind of sprayable plastic coating on the top side of the disc, or maybe some glue from a glue gun, might still be a good idea.

Also, consider punching two small holes on either side of a piezo disc and passing a strand of nylon fishing line through them. Fix a few metres of the line, under a bit of tension, where the wind can blow across it, and you have yourself a nice Aeolian harp, which I can imagine would make a pretty cool sound-source for modular experimentation.

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas, they are great!