Eurorack module testing tool (DIY)

Programmer will pay itself off very fast-if you’re like me, once you’ve used it once you’ll feel astonished how easy it is to use, and ashamed you ever bought pre-programmed chips-get a cheapo betemcu one from eBay, I’ve done 2 Ambikas worth of chips with one!

i have one and i even have chips left and it’s no big deal. but why would i still just buy it from Olivier?

I didn’t mean it that way, certainly wouldn’t want to discourage people from supporting MI-I just meant that I kicked myself for being a scaredycat and not trying DIY chip flashing earlier…

I am not in the AVR-chip flashing business. Not buying flashed chips gives me more spare time for developing new projects.

I taught my 11 year old son to flash ATMega644p’s using ZIF socket equipped MidiALF. He’s required to use anti static wrist band and verify that the newly flashed chip is functional.

that’s against the convention on the rights of children ! you should feel ashamed ! I’m glad being the only guy who hasn’t bought a programmed chip from you, hence being the only one not to support child labour !

:stuck_out_tongue:

who do you think etches fcd72’s programmer boards?

re AVR chips i figured since they’re in the shop the work has already been done anyway. so i might as well be lazy. looking very very close buying preprogrammed chips could be looked at as semi diy, like ‘building’ a curetronics or doepfer ‘kit’

@MicMicMan : child rights are well respected in this particular case at $8 per hour (much better than selling lemonade off the drive way). Besides, he gets chance to play his favorite sequences through any synth in the rack :wink:

So this would work? Can this be done easily from a Mac?

i wouldn’t recommend this one, you need 6 pins

this one should do the job very easily :

@Kvitekp that’s awesome your educating and paying him to learn at a early age!

DIY of course
or realDIY™ only the chip for 4$

@joshuagoran

Don’t low ball. just get the AvrISP MK2, it’s $35. I initially went the “find the cheapest thing that works” route and ALL of them had quirks and problems ( i tried 3 common clones). The frustration and final cost was not worth it at all. The Atmel hardware works perfect with AVRdude and AVRstudio and that will cover everything

@rosch
actually its handicapped (by some german pharmacy thingy i guess) girls working underground in bangladesh in their spare time while they are not sexually exploited…

joshuagoran: I second whataltitude said: go for the real thing, AVR ISP Mk2 is rock solid and always works. A bunch of other programmers I tried before buying it gave me problems every now and then. The price difference is well worth the time and frustration it will save you.

@joshuagoran I’ve got the same programmer-answer to your question is yes and yes (using avrdude from the terminal). You will also need something like this to adapt to 6 pins. I haven’t had problems with either my $8 chinese programmer in a box or the bare board cheapo (originally bought to flash the first one to the latest USBasp)-OS X terminal’s slightly temperamental handling of USB devices has been the only minor frustration.

I never had issues with my tinyusb (bought at sparkfun) since i understood how to input the right parameters.

Just finished building Euro module testing tool (EuroPal?) and I already love it since it allowed me to re-tune one particularly difficult to tune MFOS VCO in just 15 minutes. Before it took a couple of hours at least and result was worse. Looks like I’ll be re-tuning all my VCOs and VCFs soon.

It’s certainly a must have tool for anyone who’s building modular synthesizer modules!

The build went smoothly, everything worked as expected. I recommend drilling a hole and adding a stand off in the middle of the board between LCD and 3.5mm connectors (there is plenty of space), otherwise the board bends way too much when you plug jacks in.

Actually, Frank’s case has an extra (or extras) “supporting” standoff which are screwed to the case.