Emigrating from UK to US - power supply options/issues

Dear all,

My first post - be gentle with me!

I’m due to be emigrating from the UK to the US in a couple of months and the only synths I plan to be taking with me are my four Shruthis (due to their light weight). However, I was hoping you might be able to advise me on the power side of things.

Firstly, will EU Shruthis be compatible with the different voltage in the US without modification (assuming a correct power supply is available)? Secondly, if it is just a case of buying a new power supply for each one, can anyone recommend such a power supply (with links, ideally)? Amazon or Ebay would be fine.

Many thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Hi,

I’m not sure why no one answered, or if you still need an answer, but Shruthis run on a 2.1mm positive tip DC socket, that needs 7-9V. Mine says 7-12V on the case, so the voltage isn’t critical.

Internally, they have voltage regulators to provide the voltages needed.

So, all you need to do is replace your wall warts, with UK ones. The 2.1mm (5.5mm externally) plug is very common. Ones sold for guitar pedals have the wrong polarity (negative centre pin), but the Shruthi is protected by a diode, so they wouldn’t do any harm - they just wouldn’t work.

I’m not sure what the current requirement is (how many mA), but it’s probably small, so you’re unlikely to buy one that doesn’t work with it.

I’ve found mine runs fine off two Li-Ion AA sized batteries, in a clip with that plug on (about 4V each, 8V total when nearly fully charged).