Elements with a Wind Controller

Hello!

I have just acquired and assembled my first modular synth!
It is very small currently, it only contains Yarns, Elements and an output module.
The intention is to use it with a wind controller, aiming for two things:

• those beautiful `blown’ and `bowed’ timbres that are heard in various Souncloud and Youtube Elements recordings (not interested in purely percussive or plucked sounds here)

• but with behavior/responsiveness similar to acoustic blown and bowed instruments

After playing with the knobs, patch cords and Yarns setup for a couple of days, I see that there is a lot to learn and discover for me, perhaps correct some wrong assumptions, and so would appreciate a little help in setting this up.

The main thing that bothers me currently is that CV produced by breath does not closely control the amplitude of the generated sound.
The amplitude obviously is related to `Contour’ and `Damping’ and to blowing into the wind controller, but is not following the breath pressure tightly - it seems to have a life of it’s own to a considerable extent.
For example, if I perform a tremolo on the controller, the Elements seems to `ignore’ this, keeping the amplitude constant or even increasing it steadily until I stop blowing. I do know that WindController and Yarns are producing oscillating CV successfully, because if I patch this signal not only to Elements Strength but also to some inputs like Timbre, Brightness etc. I do hear oscillating changes of the timbre - but no volume oscillations.

I guess my ignorance is to blame…
What in your opinion would be the best way to achieve the behavior I want, do I need to add some other modules into the system or is it just a matter of patching these modules in a better way? Also, would I have been better off with Rings and some additions instead of Elements?

Thanks and all the best,

Mato

PS The controller is sending MIDI NoteOn/Off messages, CC2 (breath pressure), PitchBend, Legato On/Off and is proven with another synth, while YARNS is set to LA:M1, LG:On, CV:BR with 4th CV output sent to Elements along with V/Oct and Gate. I’ve experimented with patching Breath CV to various Elements’ inputs…

> What in your opinion would be the best way to achieve the behavior I want, do I need to add some other modules into the system or is it just a matter of patching these modules in a better way?

A VCA after Elements.

> Also, would I have been better off with Rings and some additions instead of Elements?

No because you’d be left with to excitation source.

That was fast, thanks!
I’m a bit lost in the sea of various models, could you please suggest a model or at least the most important features I should be looking for in the VCA for this purpose?

So, would Streams perhaps be a good companion to Elements for this purpose,
or should I go with something simpler like Doepfer A-132-3 ?

Thanks.

Doepfer A-132-3 will work fine!

1 Like