Elements (Geometry) Question

Trying to figure out my ears are deceiving me (or my brain is deceiving my ears…)

It seems like when I turn the Geometry knob, the tuning changes. It gets out of tune in a way. Is this “normal” behaviour? To simulate natural sounding resonating structures?

When I dial for “harpish nylon string” (11 o’clock) and tune it to another oscillator and play an arpeggio, everything sounds fine. If I then dial for “bells” (upmost right), the same arpeggio sounds not in tune.

Turning geometry spreads the harmonics, and they no longer have an integer ratio between them. That’s the normal behavior. One cannot “tune” those sounds - they are not periodic anymore. Think of them as chords of sine waves.

3 Likes

@pichenettes

Wow, you almost got me scared replying that quick. Thanks for the answer (and the module). It makes sense now (sounded sinus FM-ish in a way) :thinking:

1 Like

So not every sound dialed in with the Geometry knob is useful for melodies. Or harmonic use. (No opinion, just a point of view :upside_down_face:)

What works (for me) is to tune the “overtone” to the “roottone” with Geometry. Then dial Space in and if necessary adjust Geometry a bit. Then use tune and/or finetune to tune with another oscillator.

More tips to achieve harmonics?

Same thing with bells. Or cymbals :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I’ve noticed :sun_with_face:
One of my favorite patches is a “slap bass”. Everytime when I let a sequence play and do something else, I think after a while: “Who invited the bass player over?”

1 Like

Ahahha I found myself wondering that as well in quite few occasions.

Summary would be:
-Tune " overtone" with “roottone” (geometry)
-Add some space to hear if geometry needs a bit adjustment.
-Set course (v/oct) and/or use finetune
-Set timbre to match course

Nice “harmonic” results this way.