Edges: sequencer, pwm questions

Hi shruthizens ,

Gave the EDGES manual a quick read just now; I’m unclear on a few things.

1. PWM - same external CV source of modulation applied to all three (or four?) of the channels, via the ch4 mod input, correct? It’s the same amount, same phase, same everything, sent to all channels?

2. Step Sequencer - There’s no rest, correct? Just set N sequential CV values, and it will be stepped through by the gate input on that channel? ( It would be nice if turning the frequency to full CCW or suchlike could give an effective rest for a step )

Thanks very much, minphase

1. Yes.

2. Yes, no rest.

I’d love to see Rest as an option on the Edges’ sequencer. Is it possible?

It could be, but Edges firmware cannot be easily upgraded.

You need an Amtel programmer and the IDE installed? not a big deal for some of us. I guess there wasn’t enough memory in the Amtel chip to receive a new firmware and then apply it.

Took the plunge, ordered a Yarns-Edges-Ripples combo, to keep company with the Braids. VERY impressed with the EDGES. It sounds great. Having great fun with the YARNS arpeggiator, connected to edges, and also (thanks so much for sending the arp output over midi!) to some real GameBoys over the Yarn’s MIDI out/thru.

Will send some review comments. It’s very powerful to have such a clean square wave output. A lot of the euro oscillators I use require getting the PW knob ‘just right’, and don’t have a lot of deadzone around true square. The difference between square and infinitely close to square is hearable; it’s something rather than nothing.

That said, the PWM is a little weak on first encounter, and edges2 could definitely use some input attenuators for euro PWM sources.

Yarns and Edges really are the perfect match. I’ve been looking for the holy grail of chiptune sounds under keyboard control since … 1986?? This might be the most workable setup so far. I don’t like trackers, but I love the tracker sound. This lets a keyboard player get that, under his fingers.

> Yarns and Edges really are the perfect match.

Edges also has a built-in midi interface. The docs are there, and maybe, hopefully, there will be a small kit, or a front panel that matches Edges at some point, to interface it properly. This would free up your Yarns for other tasks …

do you happen to know if the sequencer of Edges can be transposed by the incoming V/Oct? If you ever have a demo of Edges I’d be interested to hear it, there are not too many around. In particular how to do the sequencer in the context of a modular.

Yes, if you input a little sequence on channel N, it will be played back (when enabled) by the clocks arriving at channel N’s gate, transposed by the CV amount at channel N’s CV input. So a keyboard CV can transpose it directly.

The Edges sequencer is a little fiddly – I find the arp in Yarns is easier to use. For step sequencing, I use a Rene. If I didn’t have those external sequencers or arps, however, the Edges sequencer would be a lifesaver. It’s a really great extra for small/beginner rigs.

One cool thing about the Edges sequencer is that you can clock by pressing a key on your keyboard. (any gate source). So you can play around with how a short sequence will sound with different rhythms, not just the rigid externally clocked, note-on-every-damn-sixteenth sound. When you have different seqs on the different channels, clock them all from channel 1, and you can use odd rhythms and every channel will clock along together. Very chip sounding.

You can always transpose sequencers post-fact using a Doepfer precision addder A-185-2. I use one of those to mix the CV from my Rene with the CV from a keyboard (midi keyboard via Yarns, or direct from a CV keyboard)

I take it back. Using the Edges sequencer is a thing in itself. Having two little sequences and a drone, using the keyboard to create the rhythm == instant end-of-level game music. Quite unlike arps or fast trills. More of a melody generation technique. I love this thing, wish I’d bought it sooner.

Tip: use a complex clock generator (RCD, RCM, Pamela, Grids). Record sequences on all channels. Patch the clocks it in and out the GATE row.