Easter Eggs & hidden modes in Mutable Instruments modules

Do you want back the original text or enter 49? The manual is mentioning how to enter text:

• The next option shows a scrolling line of text. TIMBRE controls the scrolling; and a gate/trigger can be used to scroll the text left by one column. To edit the text, keep the encoder pressed for more than 1s. Rotate the encoder to select the first character. Click to move to the next character and continue editing. Once the line of text has been composed, select the last character (all segments lit) to confirm. At any time, you can also hold the encoder to leave the edit mode.

Any hints about the Yarns Egg? Anything? I’ve been stumbling in the dark here to no avail.

OK, forget the tapping. Maybe hold one of the buttons down for nau (9) seconds after power-on to unlock the Peaks Easter egg?

Updated with information about the yarns and tides easter eggs :slight_smile:

Smashing.
Although mine looks a bit drunk.

So what kind of sound, if any, does the plotter make?

Low drone.

Neat. :slight_smile:

Peaks: if I am reading ui.cc correctly, try three long (>600ms) presses on the zero-th (top, presumably) function button. First pot controls the tone, second pot controls transition probabilities between tones, third pot controls noise, fourth the amount of distortion. Listen to the signal on each output. You’ll need to supply a trigger, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJdGWcNAqk

Hah, I had another look at the source code, and it really is a numbers station, with a voice reading out a sequence of digits, with noise, phase distortion and amplitude modulation added to make it sound like a shortwave transmission. Could someone with a Peaks please post a sample of the output?

I’ll try tomight.

Quick demo:

http://youtu.be/ceBUodatgZ8

Proper demo:

http://youtu.be/BI4y7lOBuEU

That is an awesome easter egg!

Whoa!

OK, so the allusion to Poe was a bit of a red herring, but at least we now know that the Peaks Easter egg, triggered by three long presses in succession on the function (top) button, is a simulation of a numbers station, with numbers read out in Esperanto on one one channel and tones on the the other output channel, with the pots controlling pitch, transition probability, noise and distortion.

The next, more difficult task is to decode the message contained in the stream of numbers which the module reads out. :wink:

And the one million dollar question is: can the audio sample be replaced?

@paranormalPatroller: Very easily. Just substitute a new sample file (looks like unsigned 8-bit), run resources.py to regenerate the resources.cc file, adjust the cut points for the new sample in number_station.cc (from memory), recompile the code and upload to the chip via JTAG, serial or wav file via the bootloader. Not sure how large the sample file could be, but probably not much larger than the one provided. However, I don’t have a Peaks as yet so I can’t try any of this. I find the numbers station simulation rather charming though, but yeah, it provides the framework for a lot of interesting variations.

• The three long presses are not just on the “top” button.
  • This is not esperanto.
  • The audio sample is encrypted (otherwise, as strange as it sounded, you could recognize vaguely the audio sample amidst the firmware update noise!) - but this is baby encryption and the decoding routine is in plain sight (xor with a baby pseudo-random sequence)…