Ears' gate output

is it possible to change the gate length triggered by the piezo on ears?
i just recently got an ears hoping to use the gate output to move a sequencer forward by tapping the ears panel – but the gate is so long that i’m not able to do it as fast as i want to. the first gate holds open for almost a second and all taps during that second gets swallowed up by the first gate… if that makes sense. i’m open to modifying the module if it’s possible. basically i want trigger length gates. any help greatly appreciated!

There is no preset gate length… The output is high for as long as the envelope follower signal is above a certain threshold.

Try:

• Reducing the decay of the envelope the detector.
  • Increasing the threshold of the gate detector.

Both are changed by jumpers on the back of the module, as explained in the manual.

alright, thanks for the quick reply! i’ll see if i can find a sweet spot. i already have the decay set at minimum, will try changing the threshold at see if that does it. if not i’ll have to combine it with another comparator i suppose…
questions for other ears users: at what rate are you able to shoot off gates from ears by tapping the panel?

@pichenettes would it be theoretically possible to change a resistor or some other component on the pcb to make the gate time shorter? what are the jumpers connected to? my partner is good with smd soldering so she could probably help out if we know which component to switch out : )

Again, there is no such thing as a gate time in this circuit!

The gate is high for as long the envelope detector is above a certain threshold.

You can reduce the decay time of the envelope detector (for example, by replacing R24 by a 3.3k resistor or 2.2k resistor ; or C11 by a smaller cap, say 470n or 220n) – at the risk of causing double detections or “bounces” since the envelope detector will no longer smooth out the bumps in the contact mic’s waveform.

Or you can increase the threshold of the gate detector (Changing R21 by a 200k resistor) – at the risk of not causing a gate to be detected at every tap.

1 Like

ah, sorry i meant the decay time : )
i’ll give replacing R24 a go first and see what happens. thank you so much for the detailed and helpful reply!

A last trick… the gate detector is a Schmitt trigger: its threshold to go “on” is higher than its threshold to go “off”, to prevent unstable switching between the two states. The circuit is designed for the “off” threshold to be half the “on” threshold – and the jumper sets the average of these values.

You can make the “off” threshold closer to the “on” threshold by replacing R17 by a 1M resistor. This will increase the risk of double triggerings.

1 Like

brilliant, got many tricks to try now : )
will report back if i find a useful and nice solution for my needs!