DS-8 clone

Hi all, I’m currently mounting a DS-8 clone sourced @M. Bareille. Did anyone successfully build that stuff ?

At present time, I populated almost all components, but would need answers to a few questions I have before powering the pcb :

• pots for rate and decay : instructions don’t match with the wiring sketch for the pins to connect. Which should I follow ?

• same for noise color : the instructions advise to install a switch, but the BOM advises a pot. I bought a pot and would need to know which pins go where.

• last confusion, RV1 trimmer was advised to be a pot actually, that I bought, but no instructions again on the pins positions.

• I already mounted a trigger jack socket, and would like to know how to plug ALSO the piezo cell i have. My aim is that the module plays when it has a trigger signal coming or/and a signal coming from the piezo cell.

• For all pots apart from volume, Marc told me to buy log pots, then lin, then back to log… I bought both, chose at random to solder the lin ones. What is the difference between them ?

• last, I enclosed the whole stuff in a mini metal box, and discovered that the jacks sockets ends (connected to tips of trigger in and audio out) are touching the box, as well as all pots obviously when screwed. Is this a problem ?

I have the instructions pdf file available by PM for any person willing to help, and can also take a hi-res picture of front/back if required.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Antoine

Hello there, could anyone help ?

I’m guessing you’re the only one with that clone, and as such unlikely to get help here.

Your best bet would certainly be whoever originally made the clone, since they should know what options are available. . .

Edit - The lin vs log question is something I know a bit about though…
A lin pot is a linear pot, its resistance will go up evenly as you turn it, IE, the distance you turn it for 100ohm to become 1000ohm should be the same as from 1000 to 10000…

A log pot is a logarithmic pot, and as such it will go up exponentially - At first you can’t hear much, and then suddenly WHAM, 10k resistance…

Lin pots are normally used for data entry, and log(s) are usually reserved for audio, since audio is perceived exponentially…

you’re probably more lucky asking on Muff Wiggler or electro-music.com as there should be some more people who have built the Bareille version (i think on E-M there’s also a huge thread about it)

@V’cent: Your example for lin is actually one for log.

Hmmm ?

(Going from 100 to 1000 is a factor of 10, going from 1000 to 10000 is also a factor of ten, and as such should be the same distance using a lin pot)

All true, except that most commercial log pots are actually a fudge (see plot ‘3’ on this graph).

A 10k log pot is for instance manufactured by joining a linear track with 1.5k total resistance from 0% to 75% rotation, to another linear segment with a total resistance of 8.5k from 75% to 100% rotation.

The two straight segments approximate the law of a log pot reasonably well, but it can also help knowing this during the design process.

For example, I changed the FMOD pot on my Shruthi SDE mod from 1k linear to 1k log for the Mk II version, which made it far easier to dial in subtle amounts of FM modulation (around 10% of the total at 50% rotation) over the first half of the pot, while simultaneously enabling me to offer much greater maximum amounts of FM over the final 25% of travel i.e. the best of both worlds

Martin

@V’cent: Well if this is on different pots then yes maybe - it sounded like you were talking of the same pot :-\\. My bad.

But then, your drawing nicely shows that the factor, looking at the end points, is useless for differentiating between lin and log. You need to look at intermediate values. That’s why your example doesn’t work so well.