DIY MIDI to CV alternatives for CVpal?

Hey all,

I was looking forward to obtain a CVpal, but then I found out that performance on Windows is poor, so I’m asking here if there are any other good DIY kits for converting MIDI data into CV, which I could include into my modular system? I still might get a CVpal to use with my iPad…

Not exactly DIY but from your favorite manufacturer……

Heinverter.net has the MIDI2CV, but it’s pretty much out of stock always…

MidiAlf with CV option is a pretty decent MIDI to CV converter if you don’t mind step sequencer functionality.

well, there is nordcore’s ‘super simple midi to cv interface’, which has a good reputation among folks at sequencer.de. unfortunately, the only documentation that i’m aware of is this rather long and confusing thread over at the strictly german-speaking sequencer.de forums…

there are at least two versions - one smaller which really is quite simple, and a bigger one with many more functions (multichannel, polyphony, …).

i still have a board + chip for the small version in my backlog. hmmm, maybe i should build it right now and use it in the new little portable 3u+1u euro setup i’m working on…

[edit:] if i understand it correctly, nordcore’s interface is essentially an atmega version of marc bareille’s pic-based mc-v876 interface - maybe that one might be worth a look, too.

MIDI2CV is supposed to be back in stock with alternate firmware available too in June.

Not DIY but a Beatstep does this and sequencing too

An update on the MIDI2CV

The Hexinverter Midi2CV is really good. I love it. Easy build, just dont get carried away and mix up your trimmers!

I used to have a Midi2CV, sold it when I got Yarns. It’s actually a pretty good MIDI2CV interface, with 3 modes and a dedicated clock output (which I personally miss in Yarns). I was mainly using the 4-mono mode, that gives you 4 separate monophonic channels. Didn’t really use the rest, so I don’t know how well they work.

The only downside to the Midi2CV is the calibration, as in many interfaces you need to manually calibrate the module turning the small trimmers on the back. Not a big deal, but you need a good DMM and of course you can’t do it while the module is in the rack.
It’s most certainly the best Midi to CV interface that comes as a DIY solution.

I have the midi2cv but kinda get annoyed with it. Can you run it at 2 or 3 note poly or is it 1or 4 notes only?

Also does anyone else have the problem of it being pitched very high so that you have to retune your oscillators to bring them down a couple octaves? I’m never hear anyone mention this.

I only run mine mono and it’s been fine so far. The alternate firmware may allow for 2 or 3 note poly. I’ve never had it be pitched really high, it sends out the CV relevant to whatever note I happen to hit on the connected keyboard. Mine was built by Hexinverter so it’s properly calibrated and all that. Have you checked the calibration on yours?

Well I think I have it calibrated properly. It’s kimda tough. But I spent a lot of time on it. I’ll give it another look one of these days.

FYI, there is an official version of firmware (5.06) that’s being beta tested and it gives the ability to set the number of poly, as well as some other bells and whistles. It works fine for me, but CV1 on my MIDI2CV doesnt work (and I’ve spent a ton of time trying to figure out why to no avail), so I haven’t been able to fully test it. My guess is when this next run is available, so will the new version of firmware.

I have a newer version that eliminates the stuck note issue of the original hex firmware. I actually bought a secomd set of pcbs from Stacy at Knobcon because I thought mine was faulty. I built the second and had the same issue…ha. So clearly I am the issue. I must not understand somethimg about how to set it up.

Interestingly I never had that famous stuck note issue everybody seems to have with the original firmware.

Blatant self promotion, the only excuse is that the thing uses MI AVR programming framework.

Midi2CV Mk2 is a DIY embeddable MIDI to CV/Gate converter with reasonable defaults and extensive configuration options.

OUTPUT:
4 x CV channels, each could be 0+5V, 0+10V or -5+5V, configurable by jumpers
4 x Gate channels, 0+5V, 0+7V or 0+10V, configurable by a jumper

OPERATION MODES:

MONO
CV: note, velocity, pitch band, control
Gate: gate, strobe, start, clock

DUAL
CV: note, velocity, note2, velocity2
Gate: gate, strobe, gate2, strobe2

QUAD
CV: note, note2, note3, note4
Gate: gate, gate2, gate3, gate4

Designed for retrofitting older synths and for newer projects like TTSH, it supports configurable output voltages, micro tuning (for Hz/V, or VCO tuning correction), configurable strobe width (1-5ms), contiguous controller and clock division factor specification via sysex.

More details here, thank you for reading!

This could get confusing, with Midi2CV and MIDI2CV running around out there. Since my MIDI2CV is currently under the weather thanks to a non-working Gate 1 Out, the Midi2CV looks like it might be fun to use in my modular. Noticing the 15V and -15V markings on the PCB, is it possible to run it at-12V?

The name was chosen back in 2011 with the first incarnation of Midi2CV, so i decided to keep it and add Mk2.

Sure, it could be run at ±12V, there is a Euro compatible power connector placeholder on-board.

It’s not DIY, but I have one of these (as well as a MIDIPal and a Yarns). I’ve got two Alyseum MIDI interfaces, so this one integrates with those nicely. It’s a Euro module and uses LAN port not USB.

MS-812