Display the Firmware version of Shruthi-1?

I just finished my first Shruthi-1 a few days ago. Its great! Flashed the AVR with 0.97 initially a while ago, before assembly.

Yesterday, I used C6 to update. I had a few tries at this since it wouldn’t light all the LED’s in sequence - only the first 3. Finally I changed the delay (ticks) to 250 and it worked with 0.98.syx …slowly. Booted up and it showed v0.98.

Today I loaded 1.01 six file the same way via the boot loader (delay ticks set to 75, so a bit faster). It appeared to finish, and restarted OK. Now when I boot the Shruthi I don’t get a brief banner screen with the version - it just comes straight up and works. Question is - how do I know which version it is on, since it doesn’t show it on boot up now??! Should it?

There is a setting for “start screen” in the system options page…

Aha! Got it. Now its working. Thanks!

Hello,

I have found a little bug with “start screen” setting.
If you do the “snap” setting to ON before then you can’t modify the start screen setting …
Of course, if you set snap setting to OFF then you can get the start screen menu …

^ That might well explain why I couldn’t seem to access the start screen setting!? I thought it was me doing something wrong…

> I have found a little bug with “start screen” setting.

The bug is that after upgrading from v < 1.00 to v >= 1.00, some of the user settings are set to random values that are out of reach by the snap mode.

Just spent the last hour trying to see what firmware version I have.

start page always shows preset/patch page . regardless of start page settings?

I have snap off. same result with snap on.

Also I expect that when i push( L5 then L4) or (L4 then L5) Shruthi should display the options page immediately

It does not.
it goes to the mod page. i have to cycle through pages before "finding " the options page again. I have really focused on this to make sense of the logic. I can detect none. It is confusing and unintuitive and unnecessarily tedious. in my opinion.

After I power cycle the Shruthi, Itr always shows patch page on start up.

I checked “settings for start page”, after a power cycle and shruthi always shows 'preset page as setting for the “startpage option”. ie; it does not change.

Experiencing a few other weird things that seem like bugs.

Wondering if my Shruthi is dysfunctional somehow.

Is there a concise description of firmware revisions for Shruthi somewhere (on a single page).
The page of sys-ex files bears no descriptions at all, and i only found some details on the forum pages.

> regardless of start page settings?

Have you saved the settings after having made the change?

> It is confusing and unintuitive and unnecessarily tedious.

> Experiencing a few other weird things that seem like bugs.

Which ones?

> Is there a concise description of firmware revisions for Shruthi somewhere

The history of firmware revisions is available at the bottom of this page.

Hi thank you, I apologize, i did not explain myself well,. I am confused about navigation.

I had overlooked/ mis understood the save settings.

I expected that if i "flick a switch, then a switch has been switched ! simples.

Must I save the setting every time i change them?
Or is the “save keyboard settings” fixed after being switched?
Or does that need to be saved too?
if so where is this setting and how?

Why would anyone want global setting reset every power cycle?

I presume that the “save settings” if for system setting only, is that correct?

My shruthi now displays the OS start page. thank you.

With MOD page displayed , i expected that S5 would cycle to the tuning/midi/system pages but instead it jumps to the seq page.

I tried a different firmware, and not having that problem now.

My other problem was serious lagg on pot movements, I changed the filter settings to the correct setting and this has cleared up.

Thank you for your help, love your work. much respect.

"Play the volume loud as you want to, but don’t touch my levels now… I got them set just like I like ‘em. Okay…"
Beaumont Livingston… from Quentin Tarentino’s film Jackie Brown

You must save the system settings every time you modify them.

> Why would anyone want global setting reset every power cycle?

You might be very thorough in your understanding of the synth, but some people are not and just like messing around with everything without trying to understand what they do. Since some of the system settings (like the MIDI channel, or the filter board settings, or on v0.98 the CV input mode) can make the synth unusable/unresponsive, I think it’s good to have a “safety net”.

> I presume that the “save settings” if for system setting only, is that correct?

Yes.

> With MOD page displayed , i expected that S5 would cycle to the tuning/midi/system pages but instead it jumps to the seq page.

S5 cycles between two groups of pages:

• S1 / S2 / S3 / S4 controlling synthesis parameters.
  • S1 / S2 / S3 / S4 controlling the sequencer and the system settings.

On the topic of design choice and accessibility for beginner synth users. I believe it is most important that information is conveyed in a concise manner in plain language that anyone can understand, (granted we all use “the jargon of synthesis”, which is not plain language.)

Similarly good design is apparent in its simplicity of function.
I think it is better that a design does only one single task perfectly,

I am finding the manual mostly convoluted and difficult to follow or refer too.
The OS seems bloated and is confusing requires too much learning, I consider myself an average synth user, no expert by any means. I imagine it even harder for a novice to comprehend the Shruthi.

Whilst I can grasp that the Shruthi has truly remarkable scope as a synth engine, It is a little feature dense, It is a turn off, It is too easy to get lost and disoriented, too complicated to plan a patch mentally. I would prefer not have to write here to discover simple functions like a turning the arp latch on, checking the OS, how to switch between normal key play and seq and arp play, the manual fails to describe the sequencer and arpeggiator functions adequately, like how do i activate/ stop? yet boldly claims. " that is all you need to know about the sequencer" Some display "abbreviations seem strange, example; for “Groove” using Gro and not Grv for example

The 7 leds are a head frack. i am not following…?

Perhaps I am the one whom is arrogant enough to call out Shruthi firmware and user guide as an arrogant design, which presumes the user has advanced technical knowledge of music theory, notation theory, maths, synthesis, patch design, advanced and arcane synthesis, programming. advanced midi, ect… Programming is not on the average man’s radar as something they can do . The manual should categorize and make special note of global setting, describe basic set up combos with keyboard and other gear and the appropriate settings for novices, perhaps explain a few synth basics, as they apply to Shruthi.

I thought i could filter an audio In signal easily, this seems an arcane task and I have sadly given up for now. I was really looking forward to that feature and it is frustrating to understand why it sounds absolute shit, and how to get the result i want. another month or two of synth meditation.

Korg’s Monotron is a strikingly simple yet effective synth design. It is simple , playable, fun, sounds awesome/huge, its overall a well thought out elegant design that knows its boundaries. it knows what it is. and it does that extremely well, I have seem a few people who never “got” synths
start to understand the basics of synthesis after minutes with a monotron. Sure it can be brash and annoying. but the limitations of its simple design make it shine.

I hate bleeping computers. I purchase hardware to compose music because I like that every little box I own does one or two things very well, and will continue too ever single time they power on. I can go flick a switch hit buttons and not stare at a screen of any description for more than a glance.

I appreciate the scope of the Shruthi, but the user guide and OS are confusing. I think one should design for the novice user to quickly becomes an informed advocate after little exposure. and not for the novice to blunder around mindlessly, whilst removing what is intuitive to the experienced user.

Let a switch be a switch. an oscillator an oscillator. start-start/ stop-stop. and Let the LFO’s run wild or be whipped into line.

> I thought i could filter an audio In signal easily, this seems an arcane task and I have sadly given up for now.

What is it you don’t understand about external signal filtering? You patch an external signal into the audio input and that’s it. It goes through the VCF, and through the VCA.

As for the rest, well, all I can say is that the Shruthi is clearly not a synth for you; and that the world would be a sad place if all synths were dumbed down monotrons.

The shruthi us not a toy unlike the MonoTron… To compare the shruthi to a MonoTron is like comparing a toy car to a hummer.

The shruthi can become a toy once you have knowledge about synthesis. The shruthi has often been praised for the simplicity of the user interface while boasting a huge synthengine and lots of features. But yes it only has 4 pots an encoder and 8 buttons.
I think the shruthi has been designed as a beginners diy project and not a beginners synth. If you want a beginners synth get something with one knob per function.

My Professor for high energy theoretical Physics on the RWTH always claimed that the world is not neccessarily made in a way you can understand it.

Understanding this instead of seclude excerpts yourself classify as “arrogant” you should use the time needed to write alllthis to read and understand - and not to presuppose everything will have to work the way you expect it to be.

Regarding the Monotron a nice anecdote: i gifteted one to my Son for his 5th Birthday because he always wanted his own Synthesizer. After being totally excited for the first 5 Minutes he disappeared to his room, came back after half an hour and gave the Monotron back to me, stating that its boring because he already made all possible sounds.

I don’t get this thread; it feels like someone has gone into a shoe store, bought a pair of shoes, and the next day comes back and complains that the shoes did not at all taste like sausage. Let me suggest a nice one-knob-per-function synthesizer which sounds really good: the Arturia Minibrute.

I was also thinking in similar lines but i would suggest a microbrute first…
Sorry for my lack of humor by the way.

On en tient un qui a une belle tête de vainqueur !

Mutable Gear: Simple and Intuitive for some, maddening and completely off the mark for few. I blame society.

Thanks i needed that :smiley:

Let’s address rationally, for a minute or two, all the arguments put forward by blaize.

> I think it is better that a design does only one single task perfectly

Mutable Instruments’ design philosophy is that a product should cover all the basics well; and then, that any extra function that the hardware allows can be added - even if they are hidden behind secret handshakes - so that people who want to invest time with the product can learn and enjoy them, and maybe save $100 or $200 of extra gear in the process.

Nobody forced you to dive into the sequencer or the system settings. Restrict yourself to the 4 pots and the 4 switches and you’ll see that the Shruthi is a logically laid out wavetable synth.

> The OS seems bloated and is confusing requires too much learning

Sure it is loaded with features, but the point is that if you consider yourself a beginner, you shouldn’t bother with them.

> I would prefer not have to write here to discover simple functions like a turning the arp latch on,

Is it that hard to go to the manual and look for “latch”?

> checking the OS

The OS version is displayed when the synth starts up. Unless you explicitly tell it not to do it, which you apparently have. You can’t complain that the synth doesn’t display the OS version on boot if you have explicitly disabled this.

> how to switch between normal key play and seq and arp play

The manual explains that.

> like how do i activate/ stop?

The manual says:

“”“
When arp is selected, the chords played on the keyboard are arpeggiated. Releasing the keys for a short amount of time stops the arpeggio but keeps the clock ticking. Releasing the keys for a duration greater than that of a bar stops the arpeggio and resets the clock
”""

I don’t know what’s complicated here.

> Some display “abbreviations seem strange, example; for “Groove” using Gro and not Grv for example

Seriously? The Shruthi UI uses, rather consistently, the first 3 letters of the word.

> Perhaps I am the one whom is arrogant enough to call out Shruthi firmware and user guide as an arrogant design, which presumes the user has advanced technical knowledge of music theory, notation theory, maths, synthesis, patch design, advanced and arcane synthesis, programming. advanced midi,

Well, it’s a synth that people have to build themselves, often from parts they source themselves.

It’s a project for those who want to understand what is happening “under the hood”, It’s not meant to be easy. What would be the point of dumbing it down? For people who want to casually play, there are already plenty of manufactured products, or things like littlebits.

> describe basic set up combos with keyboard and other gear and the appropriate settings for novices

There are illustration in the “quick start guide” that comes with the kit.

> perhaps explain a few synth basics, as they apply to Shruthi.

Because there aren’t already thousands of subtractive synthesis tutorials on the net…

> I thought i could filter an audio In signal easily, this seems an arcane task and I have sadly given up for now. I was really looking forward to that feature and it is frustrating to understand why it sounds absolute shit, and how to get the result i want. another month or two of synth meditation.

Still not sure what is your problem with the audio in is…

>

The rest of your message is a rant against “synths with a deep synthesis engine and a screen-driven UI” as a whole category, not against the Shruthi. Try other machines in this category (Mopho, Pulse…) and see how well they fare…

Why on earth did you buy the Shruthi, seeing that it had 4 knobs and 6 buttons. Did you really expect it to have only 4 parameters?

The problem with the “1 knob per function rant” is that if we were to follow what they prescribe, we would end up with either light and portable “shallow” synths; or ridiculously big and heavy “deep” synths. Sometimes, people want to have lot of synthesis power in a small box they can carry around or that doesn’t take much space in the studio.