Dip/cdip/pdip

Hi there !

Continuing my quest to learn stuff about electronics, while ordering some quad opamps I stumbled upon the notion of DIP/CDIP/PDIP. So I understand that one is for plastic dip and the other one is for ceramic dip. But one thing that wikipedia didn’t say is why there are two types of dips and what their most common use is…

Any idea ? Is it about quality ? Or temperature concerns ?

Ceramic packages are the older one. At one time they were certainly had better characteristics, and you’d tend to see more of them in military-spec parts or DIPs with higher power dissipation, though I’m not sure if that has been true for decades now.

There are some rare newer ceramic packages for very niche applications like precision voltage references (like you’d use designing a high-resolution bench multimeter), e.g. http://www.analog.com/media/en/news-marketing-collateral/press-releases/ls8_family.pdf?domain=www.linear.com and also some special ceramic packages in some RF applications, but for almost everything else, epoxy plastic packages are the thing, albeit with special exposed pads underneath for more heat dissipation.

Thank you for your answer. So I assume it’s not worth paying more than the price of the pdips.

Not generally.