Did I fry my LCD? (SOLVED)

So I had to remove my Shruthi’s display to fix a problem underneath, and with some trouble finally got it back on. I’m now getting this. Not sure how to move forward.

Hopefully next time I can get everything right from the start.
Thanks guys!

Whoops. Here’s the pic

I have no idea what you did but that certainly looks cool! Looks like a potential short of cold solder joint. Does the Shruthi actually work, sound coming out, buttons working, etc.?

Haha! True dat. Yep, works fine! One of the solder pads got almost completely removed, as may be visible in that picture, so maybe that’s my problem. I’m just not sure how to fix that.

Trace where the connection should go and solder a wire

There’s 4 wires for the “data bits”, if one or more is missing then you get incorrect values since one or more bits will be zero or floating.

Ok, forgive me for being a novice but I’m still not sure what to do. :slight_smile: It does appear that it’s one of the four data bit connections that is bad, because it’s one of four adjacent wires that have no (apparent) leads in the PCB going anywhere. So where do I solder the wire? From the pad on the bottom of the LCD to the PCB?

> It does appear that it’s one of the four data bit connections that is bad, because it’s one of four adjacent wires that have no (apparent) leads in the PCB going anywhere.

There are 4 unconnected pins on the LCD, and some grounded pins too, so it’s normal that some of the 16 LCD pins do not appear to be connected to anything. Doesn’t mean that the problem is there.

First thing to do is to go again over all the solder joints.

ivoryslammer. where are you located? There may be someone on the forum who lives near you who can have a look.

piscione I'm in the western part of North Carolina, USA.pichenettes, thanks! What I meant to say was that the one wire that has its solder pad gone is one of those 4. Are you saying that it doesn’t matter because those don’t make any actual connections anyway?

Please send a higher res photo and I’ll let you know. I am not sure I can identify the faulty pad on your tiny photo.

Ok, this should be better.

The 9th pin of the LCD (the one that appears to be severely burnt) is not connected to anything - so the problem is not there.

What kind of soldering iron did you use?

Ok great. It’s a 45-watt. Too much?

Probably. Is it for electronics or for other stuff too?

Not sure. It was given to me because I was doing electronics but I can’t say for sure. I do have a smaller, not as nice iron that might have a lower wattage. I’ll check!

15w would be better.

Just checked and it’s 25w.

Fixed! Went back over the points, desoldered it to the best of my ability, and re-soldered it. Thanks fellas!