Dead Man's Catch modified firmware for Peaks

Yes the idea of porting the Grids code to Peaks also occurred to me earlier this year - see this page

However, I no longer think that is particularly feasible - the whole Peaks firmware architecture is about separation of two independent channels, which can share inputs to some degree, but not outputs, thus some fundamental changes would be needed, which I don’t want to attempt. But also, no CV control, so it would be a very poor man’s Grids indeed, with no CV and just two channels. I don’t think it is worth the effort.

Also I am keen to finish DMC ASAP, because I have other module hacking projects I want to get stuck into, including moving Bees-in-the-Trees to the Braids v1.8 code base - so no new large additions to DMC for now, just some more variations on the existing themes.

Moving forward my vote would be to eliminate the easter egg. I think it was an interesting hidden mode for the original release, but if I could swap it out for something more useful I would. One possible mode that would be cool is another randomized drum but for the hidden/FM one. Love that one. Tweaking the bottom knob which fades from deep kick to white noise would sound great automated. Also the pitch knob in that mode makes some very nice pingy 808 tom type sounds which could be cool with a random walk.

@Flohr, yes, I tried adding a randomised version of the FM Drum, but it didn’t work for some reason (it is a buffered processor, not unbuffered like the other drum modes, so I set it aside, but I’ll return to it - I probably did something stupid). You can also get a wicked bass guitar sound out of it. A very versatile mode indeed.

There’s quite a lot of scope for reducing the code size in DMC, as it stands, without having to remove the Easter egg, once the DMC feature set is finalised. But it would be possible to replace the sample file. Actually, I was thinking of maybe just two samples, of an open and a closed high hat… Or hand claps, wood blocks, any short percussive sounds. Not sure if the quality would be good enough to make it worthwhile. The numbers station is deliberately lo-fi, of course.

A lo-fi hand clap and/or rimshot could be pretty cool

Are there any open-source or public-domain sources of such samples that could be used? I know nothing about sampling and samples.

@bannelong - re: the samples, i’m happy to record some hits for you if you’d like, i’m unfamiliar with what format the audio should be in for a port to the firmware, but if you let me know the specs i’ll bang/clap/stomp/rimshot away…

Might this site be useful for samples of classic electronic beatboxes? I have not double checked the terms of use.

http://samples.kb6.de/downloads_en.php

We could have a competition to synthesise our own percussion hits (maybe using only Mutable Instruments synths). Just a thought, but might be better than reusing the same old analogue beatbox samples yet again.

a|x

had some mics open here at the studio so i took the liberty of recording a slew of one shots - snaps, claps, thumps, tambos, crushers etc @96k though some 1073s in obnoxious prepared kontakt library fashion figuring we could always downsample. if you don’t want 'em, into the vault of unused perc samples they shall go :wink: though i actually got what would be a hell of a kick thumping myself in the ribcage with a wooden carving board!

@livefreela, you, I’ll have a go at converting and loading them up. I have Audacity installed, that should do the trick, I think?

@livefreela - Suffering for the art! I hope you didn’t hurt yourself with that carving board.

Curious how much memory is available on Peaks. Would a Music Thing Radio Music style mode be possible? (obviously not user customizable but with a set of one shots). I don’t know how many samples could fit or how flexible they could be but if you could fit a decent number it might be worth it.

1s of audio at a decent quality :slight_smile:

pichenettes> 1s of audio at a decent quality :slight_smile:

Yup, that’s why I said, a few posts above: “Actually, I was thinking of maybe just two samples, of an open and a closed high hat…”

But even that may have been a bit ambitious.

If you want really interesting, high quality percussive sounds from modules, you need to go for something like this (that right sleeve tatt is the text of his Faustian pact):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtvCSp3gBCI

Haha awesome. So scratch the sample player idea, what about a pitched digital noise mode kinda like HexInverter’s VCNoiz? So obviously no voltage control but maybe internal modulation or randomization?

Two things on the frequency-modulated LFOs:

I find that the modulator’s (2nd LFO’s) amplitude control isn’t as intense as I expected. When I turn that knob (bottom one), I think the modulation LFO should sweep the primary LFO’s speed though the whole range, from low (almost stopping) to high (as fast as it goes). I suppose it depends on where the primary LFO frequency is.

Is the modulator sine bipolar?

The modulated shape LFO doesn’t really do much for me. I was hoping it would either a) automatically sweep the “shape” (“skew”) control from the normal LFO mode (from saw to ramp in the case of the “ramp” wave) or b) modulate the actual wave-form (say, from sine to rnd).

Maybe I just have to play with them a little more. In other news, I’m having unexpected fun with the looping ADSR and random-decay envelope.

Ok, I’ll double the maximum depth of FM of the LFO in the next release. Making the depth full range is problematic because that will only work properly when the base LFO frequency (knob1) is exactly mid-range. Otherwise the modulation sine wave is truncated - it gets a flat top or a flat bottom. Probably half the total range is the maximum useful FM depth.

I have some other forms of internal modulation in mind, BTW. And work on the equivalent “tap LFO” modes is progressing…

Yes, looping envelopes are surprisingly useful! As are random dynamics.

Cool! Thanks for your effort! I’ll be happy to test these modes out again; we’ll see if there’s a happy medium between depth, speed, and truncation.

@bannelong - i’ll prep up a few selections when i get out of session later this evening. i’ll pm you a drop link… while audacity is probably fine for simple conversions, i work with samples all day long, so it’s no problem for me to take care of their barbering up here at the studio. i imagine a bit of trial and error will come in to play re: the gains/compression as well as the breath and tails on the samples themselves so don’t hesitate to let me know if you’d like something adjusted from what we start with. per olivier’s post above, while 24bit at 96k probably doesn’t qualify as “medium quality”, i’ll also include the high res along with a more manageable format (thinking 44.1/16) should you care to tinker as well - no need to introduce interpolation algos as we have a high res source to work from…