Dave Rossum big respect to Olivier :)

So a veteran of the synth world admires MI products but people trying to make DIY string synths don’t? hmm interesting :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B87BtgcVeA

At a bout 8:20, if @pichenettes needs an ego boost. :wink:

I think everyone has respect for what MI has accomplished.

wow, cool!

He wants to meet Olivier. Maybe Guido could be invited too? And the author of the pyo module, for symmetry.

That’s really cool

Nice how he explicitly mentions that he respects the decision to open source everything.

Haha, he profits a lot from it. “I found a great deal of … very … nicely finessed and … well engineered and … well thought out engineering ideas” [numerous "er"s replaced by … ]

I mean, where’s the fun in reverse engineering when it’s all open-sourced?!?

Interesting what he says about Euro and pot durability. I’ve often wondered about that.

Mechanical rotary encoder durability is probably the biggest threat to module longevity (says he who has written alternative firmware that dramatically increases encoder wear-and-tear…). But pots and encoders are fairly easy to replace. The specs for eurorack IDC power connectors are also worrisome - typically they are only rated for a hundred or so connection/disconnection cycles (that doesn’t mean they will suddenly fail after that, though). And then there’s the wear on the flash storage in MPUs. Good designers like Olivier have adopted strategies to minimise that.

But the biggest threat to eurorack module longevity must surely be the fickleness of fashions.

> wear on the flash storage
Unless an MPU constantly writes stuff to its flash, that’s never going to be a problem. Look at the write cycles you have. Even druing development, with 1x firmware flashing every minute, that’s still going to last very long.

It’s different for live samplers and other things that permanently write to the flash. But even then… how many USB- thumb drives have you seen that failed because of that? IMHO mechanical wear is the no. 1 problem. (apart from trends and fashion)

> writes stuff to its flash, that’s never going to be a problem

The flash is used for state persistence on Mutable Instruments modules - for example on Tides or Rings there’s a save every time you change mode/model. 100 saves wouldn’t be unusual in a very intense session. The flash on the STM32F is rated for 10,000 cycles (though they appear to have a very conservative measurement methodology - other manufacturers give a figure of 100,000 with similar technology/processes).

That’s why my state saving code tries to fill a flash page/sector with as many state persistence data blocks as possible before an erase - making page erases 20x to 200x less frequent. Instead of naively erasing a page whenever data needs to be saved.

For those old enough to remember pre-eurorack.