CVPal Tuning Resistors

This is probably a stupid question, but what’s the best way to add the 10k resistors mentioned in the tuning section of the CVPal manual?

a|x

That’s 100k, not 10k.

You can sacrifice a patch cable, cut one end and solder the 100k resistor between the two terminals.

You can wrap the legs of the resistor around a jack, and plug the jack on the other side of the cable in the cvpal.

@pichenettes thanks for getting back to me. I’ll try method 2 first, I think.

a|x

Would this do the the job?

a|x

yes!

Perfect!!

a|x

@pichenettes
I just realised after several hours incorrectly tuning, and then laboriously retuning my CVPal- there’s a 1-octave discrepancy between the tuning description in the CVPal manual, and the diagram below it. The description of the calibration procedure specifies F#1 (MIDI note 42) should be be calibrated to produce 0.500v, whereas the diagram below specified F#2 should produce the same voltage.

Could you correct this, please, so no other sucker ends up spending a frustrating evening pressing keys on their keyboard, like an idiot…

By my reckoning, the description is correct, rather than the diagram, assuming C3=middle C

a|x

RTFbuild instructions

Ah, I should have put the same thing in the manual.

The instructions at the end of the Manual are contradicted by the diagram below it.

If you start at the wrong octave, you run out of the notes used to tune the CVPal when you get to 3V.

Sorry for my anger, but it’s been a very frustrating evening.

a|x

It might be good to suggest in the manual that you calibrate using MIDI note numbers and remove references to note names altogether, which would eliminate the potential confusion.

I used MIDI Monitor on my OS X laptop to check the note-numbers coming from my keyboard, but before I worked out how to do that, I’d started tuning an octave too high (based on the diagram), and couldn’t work out why I couldn’t get more than 3V out of either output (because the keys I was pressing were out of range).

It takes a long time to tune up/down by 1V…

a|x