CVpal Midi CH 12, 13, 14

Hi,

I’m having trouble in getting Grids to receive Clock in from CVPal so I can change tempo via midi (logic pro x). I’ve tried midi ch 12 > 14 & changed all ppqn on Grids but still nothing?

All other functions / midi ch are working fine.

I’m sure i’m over looking something simple but any help would be great!

Many thanks,

John

Are you sure Logic is transmitting the MIDI clock for the CVpal to receive it?

Maybe you could try to patch the CVpal’s gate outputs to another module to see if they actually get something…

MIDI is working fine on all other channels so via logic, strangely even note & gate works fine when on midi 12>14. It’s just the clock & reset that arent triggering Grids (clock is set to zero on Grids).

Clock in on Grids works fine with other sources.

Stupid question but do I need to transmit midi data / notes in order to trigger Grids clock, rather than simply hit ‘play’? I tried this but with no results.

I’ve also checked outputs 3 & 4 - they work fine in other midi Ch modes??

Thanks for your help.

What about the two things I asked you to check?

Break down the problem into these two steps please:

• Make sure the CVpal gets clock/reset on its gate output 1 and 2.
  • Then we’ll talk about using these to sync with Grids.

For this first step.

• The CVpal won’t know it’s in channel 12 (or 13 or 14 mode) if you don’t send it at least a note on these channels!
  • Are you sure Logic is transmitting the MIDI clock for the CVpal to receive it?
  • Maybe you could try to patch the CVpal’s gate outputs to another module to see if they actually get something…

Ok, I’ll try the above tonight.

Btw, I tried sending midi notes to ch 12-14 with no results. I’ll double check settings re midi clock.

Thanks for your time!

yeah, midi send was switched off (d- works like a dream)

thank you!

Logic doesn’t send midi clock by default. So worth checking, annoyed me and caught me out a few times. Go into the Synchronization menu and select the midi clock to be sent out of all (or your specific one) outputs.

Hi Ben,

That’s exactly what I did, lesson learnt!

Thanks

Hi, i will use this thread to ask my questions :

I use the CVpal to clock my system.

What the point behind the ppqn, apart for the resolution, i thought using a 1ppqn is more usefull as it reflect directly your BPM.

Is it because it’s more easy to divise clock than multiply it ?

> Is it because it’s more easy to divise clock than multiply it ?

Exactly.

Clock division = keep every Nth pulse and throw away the rest. All kind of $0.2 logic chips (flip-flops, various flavours of counters)…
Clock multiplication = much more complicated since you have to “invent” some pulses.

I have never ever touched to C++, but i would like to change the 8 ppqn to a 1 ppqn.

This is something around this : ‘‘Rendermonocvgateswithclock’’ on the midi_handler.cc ?

Is it something not too complex to change or i have to learn all the C++ ? :slight_smile:

Use 24 instead of 3 here

Ok i will try that thanks you so much. i watched at this one but didn’t understand. Let try that !