CVPal, finding out if USB source works

Hey there,

I have an RC-505 with a USB Type B jack. The RC-505 can send out MIDI signals including MIDI Clock via this USB port (it can also send audio via this port, but that is not important).
How do I find out, if the CVPal can be connected to the RC-505 and receive MIDI Clock?

Do I have to measure whether the RC-505 sends 5V and if it does would that mean the CVPal would work with it?

Thanks.

2(3) Problems:

• USB B Type jacks don’t provide power, thus the CVpal won’t be powered
  • USB B Type Jack implies the RC-505 can’t act as USB Host thus can’t communicate directly with the CVpal which also is only a USB Device
  • Try finding a B/B Cable :wink:

So without a USB Host (mostly known as Personal Computer) which manages communication between your 2 USB Devices this won’t work. No, an USB Hub is not a USB Host, it just distributes Signals.

Thanks, I understand.
Now to diy something like a little host device, I’d need more information about what the host does except providing power and distributing the data stream (hub).

I’ve heard it’s relatively easy to build a host with a raspberry pi…

It is. However, it might help if you explain what you are trying to do because there might be an easier way to get from A to B.

We have the RC-505 which acts as a master MIDI clock in some songs… My partner samples her voice and gives me and her skiff the MIDI clock as master. Now, this isn’t a problem in the studio, but it is a problem during live performances. I was looking at MIDI interfaces with the lowest HP count to install in a skiff. I could install a doepfer A-190-1, but I’d have to take out other essential modules (and even have 2HP left wasted) which I try to avoid. The CVPal seemed a perfect solution. Small footprint, USB, MIDI Clock out+monophonic voice Gate/CV out in one of its modes, inexpensive and diy.
Also, with the CVPal we could take the iPad instead of the RC-505 during some tracks.

With the iPad your idea will work. But if it’s just about a master clock I think there are better solutions.

Thing is, the loops that get created on the RC-505 define the master MIDI clock. They are not pre set, but depend on the loop length.
I guess I’d have to diy a usb host device that would act as a conduit between the 505 and the CVPal.

Since the RC-505 als has regular MIDI out, I’d get a dedicated MIDI-to-CV convertor instead of making things more complex by throwing a Raspberry Pi running some scripts into the mix.

If you don’t have any room left in your skiff, then I’d just get an external convertor box; you should for example be able to get a second-hand Kenton Pro-SOLO MkII for a reasonable price.

If you do want to do some programming, it would make more sense to get a simple Arduino board with a MIDI shield and write a small script to convert MIDI clock into CV clock pulses.

You can also take a look at this; I can’t find any information about converting MIDI clock in the docs, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re happy to add that feature for you

Before you start building a CVpal and some Raspberry based Adapterthingie and have a mess of USB and MIDI running around…. what about this ?

@fcd72 Lack of free space in the skiff was already mentioned. Pay attention, will ya?

@t2k
Where were you gonna put this Raspberrythingie?

This is good advice. Thank you. I will report back, if/when I found a solution that I think might be of help to others with similar obstacles.

@fcd72 On the table? FWIW I’d get a bigger skiff if I had this issue.