CV Grids for Fill, map x y chaos

Hi there,
Bough the Grids module brand new and having a blast with it so far.
I’m having a difficult time to understand what kind of CV makes the fill input to work.

I have LFOs and envelopes from Dreadbox on the Erebus v3 and 2 rebach catch modules. It seems more responsive if I turn the green Fill knobs 12 o clock rather than CCW. As for the tempo it needs to be CCW so I thought maybe the rest works the same?
And for the x y chaos inputs?
Will it work different when in gates mode?

I have 3 attenuators of rebach too and I can scale down the signals below 5V to get the stuff going. But why does it operate at only 0~5V?
With my multimeter I found out the other stuff works up till 10~12V in spikes. Will it fry my new Grids?

Thank you for any explanation.

Hey, it wont fry anything, dont worry.
The fill cv can sometimes feel a bit weird because of how you perceive increases in density but it works over the entire range the same.
Also the x&y inputs work just like normal cv inputs. Dont worry about the 0-5v it will just clip the voltage outside that range but with attenuation and offset it will be completely normal.

The CV input handles a voltage between -5V and +5V. Any voltage above +5V or below -5V is safely clipped.

This voltage acts as an offset added to the physical position of the knob. If the knob is at the minimum, a CV of +5V will turn it to the maximum. If the knob is at the maximum, a CV of -5V will turn it to the minimum.

@pichenettes

Thanks. It makes more sense after a good jam session and it has a lot of different results!

So what are good CV modulators for the Grids? Does it need to move slowly? Or can it be a higher frequency too? I’m experimenting with LFO and envelopes (that can be looped). The manual states it can be a noise generator too? How does that work?

I measure the volts first and keep m between +5V ~ -5V.
This is awesome.

It probably doesn’t make much sense to feed fast LFOs to the CV inputs.

Something that does very slow modulation (particularly if it’s a division of the tempo) would work well.

I can recommend the Nonlinear Circuits Triple Sloths module. Definitely not tempo-syncable- it basically just does what the hell it wants, slowwwwwwwly. A lot of fun, nonetheless.

Well obviously, if the modulation goes suddenly from 0 to 5V, then back to 0 in the short interval between steps, it won’t have any effect.

You could try:

• a slow envelope triggered at the beginning of the bar, and going through an attenuverter (so you could complexify or simplify the beginning, but not the end of the pattern).
  • an LFO synced to a division of the pattern duration.
  • a smooth noise source (like Marbles’ Y output, or a noise source through a slew limiter).
  • Something cool: send the clock to an A-115 and mess with the different gain, to create stepped patterns that can subtly alter X and Y ; or fill.
  • “Chaos” has a very subtle effect, so you’ll probably need a very slow LFO!