Custom Sounds for Plaits Chord Mode?

I have a version of the Plaits and use it mostly for the chord mode. I love the features of it, and I’ve been looking for a long time and never found another module with all of this functionality. The only thing that has me wanting just a bit more are the sounds. They’re good as is, but I’d love to be able to change them out from time to time or customize them a bit more.

Is that even possible? I don’t know where the current sounds are coming from, but considering there is a waveform as part of it, there has to be a source somewhere, right?

What you are describing would require changing the code in Plaits to modify the wavetable / or waveform is uses.

A module you may want to look at is Qu-Bit Chords V2. It can do 4 voice chords and has an SD card so can add your own wavetables.

1 Like

The sounds on the first half on the MORPH knob are an emulated string machine (mixtures of sawtooth and square waves, 0, 1 and 2 octaves above the fundamental). You can adjust the ratios in the code here:

The sounds on the second half of the knob are 15 single cycle waveforms carefully chosen from the wavetable model. You can change which ones are used there:

With a little more work in the code you can:

• Include more than 15 waveforms, with the risk that the MORPH knob will get more difficult to adjust.
  • If necessary, get rid of the string machine synthesis.
6 Likes