Creating Cat sound effect with Shruthi, please help

Hi Guys, I bought a book to learn about synthesis and it shows you what settings to use to generate a cat-like sound. I was able
to use these settings in a VSTi synth that comes with the book (Welsh’s Synthesizer Cookbook), but I’m having trouble programming this sound
in the Shruthi. The way you program sounds in the Shruthi such as the LFO settings are different to that of the VSTI synth, so my cat
sound is not coming out as good as I would hope. I have attached the Book settings for this cat sound. While programming this sound
in the VSTI synth I found that the second oscillator wasn’t too critical to the sound, but the LFO was very critical, and it
is one the places that I’m a little stuck with the Shruthi.

If anyone would be willing to program this into the Shruthi and walk me through it it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Daniel

Can you post the sound you made in VSTi synth?

Hi Schrab,

Thanks for the reply. Attached is a screenshot of the VSTI synth settings that I used, and an mp3 of the sound that I achieved.

• Daniel

i think the lfo needs to be set to slave. there is no sine wave, but triangle
you will have to make the lfo-> pitch modulation in the mod matrix.
osc mix has to be in the middle position to get the same result as in the vst.
with all the other values you have to play around to get near the original. i think it should be possible

On the Shruthi, the pulse width setting shows only the useful half (0 = 50% ; 127 = 99%).

10.10% = 89.9% = 115 on the Shruthi scale.
95% = 5% = 121 on the Shruthi scale.

The oscillator 1 is detuned 1 octave and 5 semitones, 17 semitones in total.

The oscillator 2 has a volume lower than oscillator 1, so the balance must be adjusted lower than the middle.

This gives:

Mewscillator 1:
squ
sq1

Mewscillator 2:
squ

Mewxer:
sum

For the rest of settings, you have to do it experimentally, this VST doesn’t seem to provide useful numbers for the envelope times anyway. Here are some settings I’ve quickly done:

Mewlter

MDSR1

MDSR2

LFO1
tri
fre

LFO2
(not used)

Mewd matrix
Mod 1
src LF1
dst osc1+2
amount 21

And don’t forget to set the portamento to a mewdium value (it has a wide range on the Shruthi).

That should hopefuly sound purrfect!

Martin

mewd matrix… rofl

meow

Charley says:

Wrong preset

LOL!

another case

You guys are awesome, Thanks very much!
The meow patch helped me get the Shruthi to make the meow sound and thanks to the explanation of how you guys used the
modulation matrix / lfo settings I will be able to follow other examples in the book with the Shruthi. I was also doing
the Square wave pulse width wrong. I thought that a parameter of 50 was the 50% setting, but I learned from you
guys that a parameter of 0 gives you a the pure 50% square wave. Thanks!

• Daniel

Yarr! Cats rule. ROFL at the mew terminology.