Coursera course on Audio Signal Processing for Music Applications

Lots of good stuff to learn

Great tip… I will join it for sure. I hope I can find the time to really finish it. Do you know the teachers?

Not personally. Julius O Smith has written some of the most authoritative material on audio effects and physical modelling (a bit data, but worth reading). Really useful online books. Xavier Serra is “the” sinusoidal modelling guy, I think I crossed his path once or twice at ICASSP. He almost made it on my Ph.D. jury.

I totally missed this in my free class signups for the fall, thanks for pointing it out. I’m doing the MITx course in Python right now so this will follow pretty well.

Oooh, nice! And they use Python, and presumably numpy, as well - even better. Perfect preparation for hacking on this, which is a modular version of this. I’ve enrolled - hmmm, I wonder if I can solder and watch their lectures simultaneously?

I enrolled as part of my endeavour to achieve my DIY badge of honour. Complete beginner when it comes to code so I signed up to code academy to do the python one. Hopefully it will give me enough footing to give this a shot.

Hey @Nedavine … I didn’t know about code academy … Looks great thanks for the tip!

While this course will teach you the concepts necessary to understand audio signal processing, it won’t teach how to actually code signal processing algorithms to make your own effects/plugins.

The reason is that it will very probably emphasize on “offline” signal processing - in which the entire audio sample to process is loaded in memory and you are free to access any part of it" you want. Not realtime or “online” audio signal processing in which the audio data is passed to your code in little blocks, one millisecond at a time, as they are captured by the audio interface/ADC/codec, and you are expected to rapidly process it and return the results.

Most people who do audio signal processing in an academic context (with tools like matlab or numpy/python) are very familiar with the “offline” way of doing things, but are totally befuddled as soon as they have to see the world through a 32-sample long window…

To see a World in a Grain of Sound…

(with apologies to William Blake)

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look into it, and maybe even give it a shot!