Controlling the intensity of a modulation source

So I’m incredibly happy with Ripples and Braids, but when I hook an envelope or LFO to Timbre, FM, Cutoff, Etc… How can I control how much the LFO affects the target parameter. Are CV offset modules used for this? I’m used to mod matrix style -/+ control of depths, which is certainly not present in modular world. Subtlety is something I’m trying to achieve and I’m getting massive sweeps.
Sat nam

Basically on modules that don’t have them you just put the lfo or envelope into a mixer / attenuator or attenuverter (bipolar). There are lots of good options out there. Doepfer do a passive dual attenuator so you don’t even have to take up valuable space in your rack.
Then of course there’s Shades, which is a mixer / attenuverter which has the added bonus of some nifty led’s to let you know the volume / phase. Very handy indeed.

With any of these options you can perfectly control the amount of signal your using to get as subtle as you like.

Attenuverters are probably more commonly known as bipolar, in that at 12 o’clock no signal will pass, clockwise you’re adding the signal, and anticlockwise you’re subtracting the signal from the mix. This way you can create very interesting modulations indeed.

Oh, and if you go for a mixer option like Shades or any other mixer you can also mix several different lfo’s and envelopes to get more complicated modulations, and still control the eventual amount input into the vco / filter etc.

First of all, Timbre and FM on Braids; and FM on Ripples have attenuverters (the knob with - … +) to do exactly what you want - adjust the level, and if necessary reverse the polarity - of the incoming signal.

For other parameters, such as Color on Braids, or Resonance/Level on Ripples, you need an external module to do the level adjustment. A passive attenuator does the trick. If you also want to be able to reverse the polarity of the signal, you need an attenuverter like Shades.

A CV offset module does something else.

Of course, check that your modulation source does not already have a level or polarity control!

Finally, if you want to dynamically control the intensity of the modulation, you’ll need a VCA (to amplify the modulation signal as a function of another CV carrying the modulation amount)

Thank you, fellow soundsmiths. I appreciate the explanations. That also helps with a clarification of Frames as well.

Oakley Classic VCA. Recently acquired one in a trade and it’s basically the perfect module for what you’re after…