Conductive pen for circuit repair?

Is a conductive pen useful for repairing lifted pads/scratches in synths?

Aside from re-routing a trace with cable I was thinking this might be a time saver and avoid the “cable of shame” look

Anyone have experience using these?

No. No. No.

Haha figured as much but thought it would not hurt to ask the experts!

They’re okay for heated windscreens but not much else.

You can also fake tiffany lamps patterns from a molded piece of plastic….
Regarding the Cable of Shame™ i can highly recommend non translucent Cases. I know what I’m talking bout bro!

You can also get copper foil and a sharp knife and cut a replacement track :smiley:

Non-translucent works, but the thing is I know the cable´s there and could (almost) not live with that!

Was mostly thinking of a quick solution to a lifted pad not so much making an entire trace.

Wire reroutes are like in-field Rambo stitches. Wear them as badges of honor, not shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7S4BULc-p0

Haha. I hate looking at the back of my x0x Heart PCB. Nasty nasty…

I call it ‘the jumper of failure’.
Or ‘the botch of broken dreams’.

a|x

BTW, you would burn the conductive paste you apply with the pen by soldering - just to let you know the cause why its a bad idea.

@a|x
Lets make a thread like “Census of Cables of Shame™ / Jumpers of Failure™”

Ill start with this epic failure:

The “annoying wire” from the Shruthi Programmer PCBs

and the “Ugly floating Resistor” Fix from Triiiples

gotcha, thanks guys!

Wait wait, I got one…

Missed a resistor in a design I had manufactured. 50 PCB’s fail.

Minor de-rail, but if anyone wonders why Sinclair computers went out of business, the QL is a perfect example of why, bodge city:

So I guess conductive pens wouldnt have saved Sinclair…

Nope :slight_smile: it wouldn’t have made the C5 go any faster either :smiley:

through hole rivet is the only way for fixing a lifted pad with out using resins to re-glue them

emax lcd screen pads are very fine and weak the wave soldering process they used weakened the glue and even desoldering with low heat can lift the pads i use a tungsten bit which makes a 1.3mm hole and you fit a through hole rivet which you compress this gives a new solid pad which you just flow some solder to the track

you can also buy repair kits which are small copper tracks pads vias and you scrap the mask of and resin the new copper tracks on to the original place and again flow some solder to the old track location but the sheets are not cheap.

we used to do lots of dead bugging adding logic chips for new functionality and we used to just glue them upside down and use wire wrap to add wire traces all very ugly but emu and ensoniq made us do this a lot and later release of pcbs would have the updated circuits but 50% of emu circuits in the emax 1/2 EIII sp12/1200 all have this messy work in working machines