Colored noise exciter for Rings

I’ve seen posts in the forum mentioning colored and filtered noise as useful exciters for Rings, so I’m thinking about what would be a good noise module for Rings. (I’m also interested in noise as a sound source in general.)

Doepfer A-118/A-118-2 seems flexible but lacks CV control for the color.

SSF Quantum Rainbow 2 seems to be an appreciated noise source in general, but I’m concerned that it might not be flexible enough. I have no reason to think it wouldn’t be, though (I’m new to both modular and noise generation).

Perhaps it would be a plus not to always have to shape the noise using an external module, such as Ripples or Shelves, allowing these modules to be used elsewhere in the patch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Oh, and also:

My keyboard (Nord Stage 3) has two digital noise oscillators: one white noise generator, and one noise oscillator which provides a band-passed and resonant pitched noise (in the range of -11 semitones to 48 semitones, or in a sub mode).

The keyboard also has a filter section with LP M (a Moog-style filter), LP24, LP12, LP+HP, BP and HP modes, and LFO or VEL/MOD ENV.

I’m curious about how far take me, if I’m using my keyboard as an external audio source, compared with a dedicated noise module.

Thanks!

I’ve been using a Klavis Twin Waves which provides low passed noise, band passed noise and resonator noise. These have modulatable parameters for resonance, bandwidth and quality respectively.

It’s a great little module and naturally does a whole lot more than noise. I use mine quite a bit for LFO duties.

1 Like

The obvious choice for me is plaits, it just produces so many awesome exciters not only through its noise modes but basically all red modes and then most of the green ones do great stuff as well. Generally tonal sources into rings are more fun than youd maybe think.
Another really good noise source is an s&h triggered at audio rates which produces weird digital noise (i think its called shift register noise?)
Just some white noise into a filter goes a long way too though and that quantum rainbow will give you endless joy im sure especially with something like a scanning mixer (frames comes to mind).

5 Likes

Both Plaits and Quantum Rainbow 2 are great into Rings. QR2 is more flexible than you might think since you can send the output into a filter first, send two or more noise colors into a mixer, etc.

1 Like

Very interesting suggestions - thank you! And what an inspired idea to (keyframe and) mix noise. :slight_smile:

I just read up a bit about S&H modules, and they sound intriguing. What could be the (non-gate) input in this case?

I have understood that Plaits is a great combination with Rings. However, (I probably should have mentioned that) I’m looking into reusing my instruments (a Nord Stage 3 and a Nord Drum 3P) and my Ableton Live/Ableton Push setup using something like Ableton’s CV Tools, and I’m concerned that Plats might overlap a lot with this setup. My instruments, if they can be combined with Rings, already provide oscillators and a percussive source. (By the way, here is some information about my setup, in case it might be relevant.)

Come to think of it, I wonder if the Nord Drum 3P could serve as a suitable noise source (the noise parameters are described on pages 7-8). Of course, this is a bit off-topic for the thread, but it would be very interesting to hear your thoughts on the noise capabilities of this instrument.

I’m also thinking that there might be some overlap between the instruments and Klavis Twin Waves as well. Also, my aim is to provide LFOs and modulations through software (at least initially).

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

1 Like

you’re welcome, that’s what this place is for!
With an s&h, In this case the input should be noise. many s&hs come with a noise source like MI kinks which is a wonderful module btw.
I extensively use Ableton and various software instruments and never felt plaits has particularly strong overlap with either of them but ymmv. by all means, run your Nords through it, especially the drum should be lots of fun! I have never owned a Nord drum personally but a friend of mine does and I’m sure it would provide great excitation sources, especially because its so responsive to playing dynamics which resonators love.

I generally wouldn’t think too much about overlap between computer based synths and modular.
a modular environment is a bit of its own ecosystem and some things you might have already in software just work more seamlessly in modular. also of course cv animation is much easier this way and doesn’t depend on your audio interfaces latency.

another suggestion would be to get an external amplifier like ears, pump your Nord drum to modular levels and give it a go with rings.

1 Like

Terrific! :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to trying out Nord Drum 3P with Rings. :slight_smile:

I understood Kinks better reading through its description a second time around. It sure seems wonderful!

Hmm… Will CV/modulation through ES-8 be subject to audio interface latency? I’m thinking about in what way CV animation become more difficult.

Regarding external amplifiers: I was thinking of trying out Ableton’s CV Tools envelope generator and patch the audio through that. I was also looking at Ears, but then got recommended Doepfer A-119 (http://www.doepfer.de/a119.htm) since it has knobs for both gain and threshold (instead of jumpers).

I have a Fireface UCX card with lightpipe/ADAT connections to ES-8 if that helps.

Cheers!

1 Like

think of the cv modulation as audio. if your fireface has lets say 4ms latency on the output, then that will be the amount by which the modulation will be delayed. RME has great drivers so it shouldn’t be too noticeably anyway and you can compensate for off-beat sounds using the latency compensation in Ableton.
Cv tools looks terrific, I too am looking forward to giving it a spin. Been using expert sleepers silent way for years but the Ableton UI just looks a bit more comfortable.
The a-119 is great I am sure, it really depends if you prefer the inbuilt contact mic or the additional features of the doepfer.
There is also a very cool interface for drums by a small German company named CG products.
Their module peak and hold was designed specifically with drum cv extraction in mind and offers a wealth of possibilities. check it out here: http://www.cg-products.de/module/peakhold/

1 Like

I see!

I’m looking forward to trying CV Tools out as well. Good idea about using latency compensation. :slight_smile:

Do you think Fireface UCX + ADAT will be faster than simply connecting ES-8 via USB?

I wonder if the routing of my external instruments, via Fireface UCX, to the modular system can cause other issues, besides latency, such as the analog/digital sound conversions causing sound quality problems or digital jitter.

It would be nice to have an inbuilt contact mic (and, of course, to have another MI module :slight_smile:) but since my current focus on experimenting with my external instruments I’m thinking that I probably should begin with something closer to A-119 rather than Ears, if the goal is to record directly into the modular system.

Also, do you think I will “need” something like Happy Nerding Isolator, or do you think I will be able to conveniently listen to the modular system through Ableton Live?

Hmm… The Peak+Hold module sounds interesting, but I’m not entirely sure of how it works. Would I configure it to “detect” a certain kind of sound in the audio input (for instance, a snare drum) and then let it generate envelope, gate, and various modulations, everytime it “hears” that particular sound?

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

I use the noise out of the Make Noise Telharmonic, while using the other voices for harmonic parts. The R-Pulse out on the SSF URA is also useful as it has many colours.

1 Like

What do you think of this? :slight_smile:

I put Ears to the right since I’m right handed, and I’m kind of loosely thinking that the patching will mainly go from right to left.

(I have assumed that I, more often than not, will filter the audio going into Rings, rather than the the audio coming out of Rings.)

Have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

That looks pretty good although i would say you should get at least one small utility mixer/attenuator like shades. Other than that, awesome!

1 Like

Aha, interesting!

Just out of curiosity: What does Shades provide in this case that Veils (and perhaps to some degree, Frames) do not?

Also, I thought Intellijel µJack could replace Happy Nerding Isolator. (I think I will mainly use this interface for headphones, while using ES-8 for recording, and I don’t see the need for galvanic isolation.)

Shades can invert signals :sunglasses:

1 Like

I use a Noise Engineering Sinc Iter. Lots of control in 4hp and a great utility vco as well. Through Natural Gate LPG, into Rings.

1 Like