Clouds: position length vs size length

Why is the maximum sie length not equal to the entire position length. You know you can play the entire sequence you sampled by turning the position knob from CW to CCW. So I would really like to be able to loop that entire sample (1,2,4 or 8 seconds depending on your mode of recording), just like you can with a Phonogene. I KNOW this is not a Phonogene; I sold my Phonogene because I think it is by far not as musical as the Clouds but: this looping feature was one of the main uses for me.

I was actually thinking about this very thing a few days ago, that it’d be nice to have the full buffer and then divisions right down to tiny fractions. Maybe there’s a technical reason, It feels like it’d be a musically useful tool though for sure.

I’m no tech guy (at least not tech enough) but I would say that the whole sample is in buffer so playing back that entirely could not meet with any technical limitation.

If the buffer is 2s long, and POSITION points to 2s, then there is zero seconds of data to play back.

In other words, you must always have POSITION + LENGTH <= BUFFER SIZE - one option for that would be to reduce length when position is getting close to the maximum.

I’m not even sure if this is something you want from the main granular mode or something else.

I’m certainly thinking about this in terms of the module’s standard granular mode. Maybe it’s because I almost exclusively use clouds frozen rather than the ongoing processing of audio that it seems weird not to be able to have the full ‘sampled’ loop accessible (without having to send a CV into the position input at the right rate).

I get your point about the size and position.

I suppose in my head I’m thinking about the buffer on the whole as a piece of tape, the position as the playhead and the size as the physical length of the tape loop in a very traditional (phonogenesque) sort of way. If the position knob was moved, it would alter where on the loop that it would start playing when a trigger via the density knob or trig in was received.

I’ve also got a phonogene and am probably just trying to make the 2 modules a little closer (for what it’s worth, yesterday I managed to get my phonogene to just about work in a similar way to Clouds, albeit a lot less lovely sounding).

This has zero priority by the way, I always feel super guilty when the grand creator comes down into a thread to address the moaning and wailing of us great unwashed module operators and I hope it doesn’t divert you from other more important things that you should probably be doing (putting your feet up and having a glass of wine or somesuch).

I suppose it’s easy to forget that grains/windows are being triggered rather than it being a constantly looping thing (although it can easily be made to sound like it is via the density knob).

It wouldn’t work.

Say there are 2 seconds of audio in the buffer.

You want 500ms of audio starting at 1.9s. If you think you could get that by playing the 1.9s - 2s segment and then the 0s - 0.4s, then no, I will never change the way the module works to allow that. It would introduce a discontinuity/glitch that was not there in the original material.

I get that you want the module to behave like tape loops and/or the phonogene, but this was not the inspiration behind this module.

I had not thought of position + size. Okay then it depends on how large the sample file can be. But if I were to choose 4 seconds of mono 16k/8bit sample then it should be possible, no? Perhaps we can find a sweet spot where the above is possible?

BTW I don’t feel guilty at all because I don’t think I am either moaning or wailing… It’s nice of developers to interact with users. I think that the interaction can lead to better products.

> Perhaps we can find a sweet spot where the above is possible?

It’s possible through a firmware tweak but it’s not something I’d be interested in doing - Clouds is not a sample player / looper, there are (… or will be… from 4ms) better modules for this purpose.

fair enough! thnx!

@earlabs
You might want to check out this module:
https://www.ginkosynthese.com/product/sampleslicer/
It’s also available as a (partly) DIY kit.

Sampleslicer isn’t a looper, as such, either.
Does look cool, if limited, though.

a|x