Clouds Parasite: an alternate firmware for Clouds feat. the Oliverb and Resonestor

deadzone. exactly. exptected something like this. thank you guys.

but yes, the size knob also affects the delay. i think i remember the stock firmwares SIZE had the same behaviour.

to be sure i dont misunderstand something i uploaded a test of what assumed to be a bug. (input: metronome; blend 50% wet, dens & pos fully ccw)

thanks for any help

> but yes, the size knob also affects the delay.

That’s normal - let’s say you have 2s of memory. If you want to use 0.5s long windows, the maximum delay time is 1.5s. If you use 0.1s long windows, the delay time can go up to 1.9s. So POSITION is rescaled when SIZE changes.

ah alright. so the live input predelay of the processed signal depends on the lenght of the buffer respectively the audio quality. thanks, pichenettes.

that leads me directly to another question: i set audio quality to ie 32khz 16bit stereo > load a buffer thats recorded with ie 16khz 6bit mono> unfreeze -> live input buffer “changed”, remains 16khz 6bit mono.

would it make sense to fix that or is it complicated/impossible?

> would it make sense to fix that

It wouldn’t work. Let’s say you load a buffer at 16kHz/8-bit. You press unfreeze. There are two options:

• As you suggest we revert back to 32kHz/16-bit. It means that the recorded buffer (which is in an incompatible format) must be lost, and we should append the data to an empty buffer. There’s a glitch (a dozen ms) to erase the memory.
  • We stay in 16kHz/8-bit mode. In this case we can append new data immediately after the pre-recorded buffer, since the data we have in memory is in the same format as the incoming data.

Thanks for this explanation. Got it.

Sometimes during live performance i want to switch let’s say from granular mode to time shift, playing a buffered sample. I can change the mode without having to interrupt or reload the sample. If i then want to switch back to granular mode i have to go through spectral madness (not to mention the added Parasite mods) and of course then the sample cuts. I assume this is related to the different modus operandi of SM.
So i think it would be great to be able to select the modes “counterclockwise” as well, assuming then the buffer would also still continue to play. I guess you olivier also thought about this, but with the lack of buttons (or the need of doing so) i also only see the possibilty of pressing “mode select” for an i.e. extra long 8s, but this also wouldn’t be handy. So it seems to be a dead end somehow and also a very specific and uncommon need, though i still wanted to mention my thought. Maybe someone had a better idea than “8s” or “first press this then that omg i accidentally erased my buffer”. Maybe the load/save button is an option, because it’s not very common to press mode select for so long and then change ur mind and load a sample. dunno. best regards :slight_smile:

Hi there! My first post! :slight_smile:
Could someone tell me the differences between Clouds in Res. mode and the Rings algorythm?

First of all Rings has not one but three synthesis algorithms: Modal synthesis, sympathetic strings, and a single string with two types of non-linearity. Resonestor would be most similar to the last two modes.

Some things Resonestor can do and that Rings cannot:

• BP filter in the delay line.
  • More chord types (not 100% sure)
  • Two trigger inputs to independently trigger both channels.
  • Delayed strumming with the internal exciter generator.

Some things Rings can do and that Resonestor cannot:

• Stay in tune over a larger range of settings (the filters in Resonestor’s feedback loop detune it when the filter is swept).
  • Jawari-like non-linearity.
  • ASR-style polyphony.
  • (and modal synthesis of course)

> More chord types (not 100% sure)

I took the set of chords from Braids’ x4 models, I think there were a couple more there, yes. But in both cases, it’s so easy to add more that I wouldn’t rely on this argument.

> ASR-style polyphony.

Resonestor can do “ASR” polyphony actually, but:

• only two voices (instead of 3/4 in Rings
  • without the cool tricks regarding input normalization.

PS: by the way who called this ASR polyphony and how is it related at all to shift registers?

> PS: by the way who called this ASR polyphony and how is it related at all to shift registers?

I’ve already seen several people describing it like this on muff (it dates back to Braids), and there’s the alternate mode for the telharmonic which uses this name too.

You can think of the STRUM input on Rings as the clock input of a shift register that will store the most recently “clocked” values for the V/OCT CV input - and these are the notes you’ll hear.

Thanks! I think I´ll stay with the Clouds for now.

> You can think of the STRUM input on Rings as the clock input of a shift register that will store the most recently “clocked” values for the V/OCT CV input – and these are the notes you’ll hear.

All right, actually it makes sense to me now. It’s just implemented so differently that I didn’t see the relationship :slight_smile:

Hi all,

[again, copied from the MW thread… sorry for the cross-posting]

I just published a new version, v1.4, of Clouds Parasite. I’ve accumulated a few minor tweaks, mainly for my own use, over the last few months. Since today is release day… :slight_smile: Careful: some of them might not be to your taste; please read the changelog carefully to decide whether it is for you.

So here is the list of changes against v1.3:

• Oliverb: restore soft-clipping in the feedback loop (more extreme self-oscillations, as it was prior to v1.3)
  • Granular, Delay modes: put the simple post-processing reverb after dry/wet (it now affects also the dry signal)
  • Granular, Delay modes: disable the reverb when Freeze is enabled with some feedback (this one was itching for too long).
  • Delay modes: lower the resonance on the HP/LP filters. (less agressive peak when feedback is high)
  • All modes: smaller notches for octaves in the Pitch knob (as they were in the original firmware)
  • All modes: Set dry/wet response curve to equal power crossfading (no volume drop anymore at 50%)

As usual, head to the project page to download and read the documentation.
Happy patching!

I can’t download it. Error 404

According to the thread on Muffs there’s a very slight mistake that can lead to getting stuck in resonester mode so suspect it’s been pulled until it can be fixed.

Yes sorry… I need to find time to fix this; in the meantime I removed the download to avoid people getting bitten.

Feature list sounds good. The fact that the reverb affects the dry sound as well really makes sense and is something that was on my wishlist too. How you can get the bug squashed soon!

Thanks for the alternative firmware.

I used my disting mk3 with the midi playback to calibrate the module. seems to be alright. is there a way to find out if the calibration was successful or not? (appart to compare how tides - clouds - and my mangrove track altogether ?)

Is this sorted yet MQ :slight_smile:

thx. cheers!

Is the warranty voided when installing this (or other alternative firmware)?