Clouds Parasite: an alternate firmware for Clouds feat. the Oliverb and Resonestor

Hi everyone!

I am beginning some work on an alternate firmware for Clouds, with a few improvements; let me submit to you a preliminary version for test and feedback. It adds to Clouds an extra secret mode which is a reverb I’d like to call the OliVerb :slight_smile: It is essentially the built-in reverb, with more controls.

Here is a small demo clip .

It can be accessed like the other factory playback modes, by holding the Blend button for 4 seconds and pressing it again until the last three LEDs are lit. In this mode, the input goes directly through the reverb and to the (stereo) output; the reverb parameters can be controlled by the knobs and CV inputs:

• Position: pre-delay amount (from 0 to about half a second),
  • Size: reverb size (i.e. feedback, can be driven to self-oscillation),
  • Density: density of the diffuser (from scarce to dense),
  • Texture: dampening (from dark to bright),
  • Dry/Wet: well… dry/wet.

All other controls (pitch, freeze, …) are left unspecified. Their behavior might… no, /will/ change in future versions.

To update your Clouds, download this file and follow the instructions on how to upload the firmware in the manual.

Any comment will be most welcome! How do the knob range feel? What feature is missing? How should I use the unassigned pots?

I’d love to have a freeze option implemented (thinking of Live’s reverb plugin) or a reverse mode. Pitch shifting of the wet signal could be cool too. Nice concept, keep going :wink:

Ha these two are actually there already, only not documented: the freeze button freezes the read buffer and you can travel in it with the position knob, and the pitch knob controls pitch shifting… I found both of these not really useful in fact. Freeze should really set the input gain to zero and the feedback loop of the reverb to unity gain… I’ll try that soon.

nice!

This looks interesting!
I’ll check it out, later.

a|x

really cool… had some thoughts for freeze to do some sort of reverse verb / preverb effect, and perhaps the pitch knob could either do more of a depth modulation or act as a tilt eq (gentle bandpass) … just some thoughts! :slight_smile:

Don’t want to interfere with this, but to me the right way of doing freeze would be to set the input gain to 0 and set the internal reverb feedback amount to the max, while disabling all the LP / HP in the reverb loop to prevent energy loss.

Here’s what I do for Elements (whose reverb freezes when the CV gets close to +5V).

pichenettes, yes definitely, that was my idea too (on Muffs). A lot of people seem to want a feature similar to the ErbeVerb though, but I don’t think I’ll do it.

Would it be possible to have the module retain this functionality after shut-down?

Pretty sure it remains in the same state. I had turned off my case the other night after loading the new firmware and it went right back into it when I powered it on the next day.

Pitch could also LP the incoming audio while lowering its volume. It would be useful for making the sound disappear in the “room”.

What else is left? Trig … ?

ParanormalPatroler, this mode should retain functionality after shut-down. If it doesn’t, can you tell me, with how to reproduce the problem? Thanks!
Concerning your suggestion: yes, the next version will have a controllable LP for dampening, plus an HP, plus an awesome shimmering pitch shifter, and more goodies! Due very soon!

I bricked my Clouds due to my personal stupidity. Will report back after I manage to install the firmware properly. In the meantime keep up the good work and thank you so much for making this, I’m very much looking forward to trying it out.

@ParanormalPatroler, just out of interest to those of us distributing modified MI firmware, how did you manage to brick your Clouds? Using the audio bootloader? It is useful to document the steps so that they can be guarded against, either in the firmware or in instructions.

It was an early prototype whose firmware had a bug preventing upgrades.

Ah, OK, no need for any Woody Allen neurotism, then.

@BennelongBicyclist. Yeah, it was totally down to me being ignorant and nothing to do with either the DIY firmware itself, Olivier’s work, or the universe in general. So far all the updates I’ve performed with all the MI stuff have been flawless.

To be honest I haven’t tried the Bees-in-the-trees firmware but I have tried all the Braids updates that come up and never had an issue. Same goes for other MI modules.

I’m positive I’ll happily report back soon with success, as soon as I follow pichenettes’s instructions to unbrick my head first.

Version 0.9 is here! This firmware is now officially called “Parasite Clouds”. You’ll see, the reverb is nicer sounding and quite more involved: it has pitch shifting, modulation, room size control… I made a thread for this release:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1865931#1865931

and there is now a web page for my Mutable Instruments hacks with the full documentations:

http://mqtthiqs.github.io/parasites/

Hope you’ll enjoy it!

@mqtthiqs, this is great, but I am rather sad that you chose the break the naming convention for alternative firmware for Mutable Instruments modules. The convention is that alternative firmware takes the name of, or alludes to, one of the games in Peter Greenaway’s film Drowning by Numbers. By ignoring this convention you have missed the chance for your firmware to be immortalised by Wikipedia.

I dare say that a reference to one of Greenaway’s other works would also be acceptable. Even Luper.

I understand that you have chosen the name “parasites” in deference to Olivier’s work, but with open source software, giants expect to have their shoulders stood upon, and a deferential, or reverential, attitude is probably unnecessary. Can you be convinced to be referential instead - to Greenaway?

To be honest, I have started hacking the Frames firmware, and its working title is “Chasing Sheep”, which doesn’t completely conform to the naming convention either, but I couldn’t resist the visual pun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1I1p3tb7BM

mqtthiqs thank you this looks really great.pinchenettes (or anyone else) Is there a .wav version of the normal Clouds firmware anywhere on the site in case I want to go back to the original version?