Clouds original firmware - what do the double-button-push LEDs mean?

I’ve been using Clouds for a while, I’m quite familiar with swapping between modes etc, but I can’t find anything about this in the manual.

What exactly is happening when you press and hold both the Blend & Load/Save black buttons together?

First push I get first 2 yellow flashing LEDs that will just stay there (eg not revert back to another state) if no more buttons are pushed. Pressing only the Save/Load button once then gets a row of 4 flashing yellow LEDs. Pressing it once more gets a line of 4 solid red LEDs. This will then revert again to the previously selected mode (eg showing the green input level LEDs).

However, if I press both black buttons again after the 2 flashing yellow LEDs I get 2 flashing green LEDs. With another double button push I get only the 2nd green LED solid lit. Another double push and I get the Freeze button lit and a single green LED… then Freeze lit with the last green LED flashing…

Whats happening here? What am I cycling through with those button presses? The manual seems not to mention anything about it.

I did it accidentally today and since then my Clouds sounds like its got horrible digital bitrate distortion over everything… in every mode. I can’t seem to re-set it.

Some help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

quoting from the manual (I’ve highlighted the text for clarity):

1. Disconnect all CV inputs.
  2. Connect the note CV output of a well-calibrated keyboard interface or MIDI-CV converter to the V/OCT input.
  3. Press the Load/save button, and while you hold it down, press the Blend parameter/Audio quality button. The first 2 LEDs will blink in orange.
    […]

Hope this clears any doubts.

OK thanks so single LOad/Save button presses is calibration process.

What about the multiple double button presses?

"… if I press both black buttons again after the 2 flashing yellow LEDs I get 2 flashing green LEDs. With another double button push I get only the 2nd green LED solid lit. Another double push and I get the Freeze button lit and a single green LED… then Freeze lit with the last green LED flashing…

Whats happening here? What am I cycling through with those button presses? The manual seems not to mention anything about it."

OK, I got it, it seems to be only the Load/Save button active, so its cycling through the Save slots… I see

So where the hell did this digital bitrate distiortion come from? It seemed to start when I accidentaly went into the calibration process… could I have screwed something up by going into that mode with audio going into IN L at the same time?

OK yup - entering calibration mode while you have audio patched to the input will screw up your sound!!

Re-calibrated Clouds and now all back to normal - phew!

Oh I see you already figured that out. Yeah, when you enter calibration mode and then you don’t actually provide the voltages Clouds expects, the calibration gets all messed up and you get a very low tone, which probably sounds also very distorted/bitcrushed.