Clouds input sounds rough with static

I installed Clouds Parasite v1.14 and am trying out the Resonestor mode. I can’t get anything into IN L to sound like a clear plucked sound as in mqtthiqs’ demo (https://youtu.be/VOd5zx_WDyA ). Whatever I put in there sounds very rough, with all settings the same as in the demo video. I don’t have any midi-to-cv that works correctly, so I recalibrated with a sine wave through Intellijel uVCA and measured with a multimeter for 1v and 3v. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You need to calibrate the module with a +1V and +3V constant voltage. Why a sine wave??

Thanks very much for responding. So this is likely a calibration issue?

I figure that whether I’m pressing a key on a keyboard or output from a vco, it’s just a soundwave either way. My goal is to get a constant voltage reading at the end of the wire.

I plug the vco into a vca, and raise the bias to change the voltage at the vca output. I touch my multimeter to the end of the output wire and I’m getting a constant voltage reading, adjusting the bias to exactly 1v, then 3v, for calibration.

I’ve never used a multimeter before, so I may very well be doing something wrong. I tried pushing notes from a general midi keyboard through my interface, then through my Korg sq-1, following Korg instructions for midi-to-cv, but the multimeter shows nothing coming through the CV out. I guess I’ll try midi-to-cv via sq-1 for the full calibration procedure and trust that whatever is coming through is correct, then test the Resonestor again.

Just use the SQ1, put the meter on the output cable and measure to make sure that one step is 1v exactly, tune the second step to 3v and use that way.

Very unlikely/impossible you’re getting a stable reading from a sine wave as it’s going to be oscillating between Xv and -Xv, what you’re seeing is more probably your multimeter not being able to read the fluctuations quickly enough.

You’ve basically managed to calibrate Clouds to a pair of random voltages between the output of the oscillator’s voltage range which is probably quite an interesting thing to behold but not really liable to give you anything close to a proper calibration.

Thanks. That makes sense. I definitely get notes from the sq-1 when sequencing, just unable to get a voltage reading. I’m sure it’s user error. I’ll read through the sq-1 thread at muffwiggler and try again.

Yay it worked! I had to change the sq-1 cv output range to get to 3v, but now the Resonestor sounds correct. My Warps was also incorrectly calibrated. Now it’s fixed and I’m interested to see how different it sounds. Thanks again.

> I figure that whether I’m pressing a key on a keyboard or output from a vco, it’s just a soundwave either way.

A MIDI interface or keyboard with a CV output produces a control voltage, that is to say, a constant, stable voltage (DC) corresponding to the played note. If you connect this signal to a mixer or amp, you won’t hear anything at all - just a short thud whenever the note changes.

> and I’m getting a constant voltage reading, adjusting the bias to exactly 1v, then 3v.

Your voltmeter is measuring the average of the signal (DC mode) or the square root of the average of its square (AC mode). So a multimeter can display a constant number, even if the voltage changes rapidly.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

I am having the same issue and wondering if I can use frames (in +10v mode) going in to a SSF Grd Ctrl (to measure the voltage) to get the 1v and 3v needed for calibration?

Couldn’t you just use the DC voltage source on the Gnd Ctrl without Frames?

DC Voltage Source
Use the DC Bias to produce an adjustable bipolar DC voltage source. Mix the signal with modulators or use as a trigger voltage source for pressure sensitive resistors and voltage source for boosting CV range. The currently displayed voltage is available at the +OUT and THRU outputs as well as an inverted version at the -OUT output.

Good point Reviver! I wasn’t considering the GND CTRL in that capacity but Duh! That said, I’m assuming a volt is a volt and the calibration will work from any source that can deliver an accurate 1v and 3v respectively correct?

As long as you can trust its accuracy, then yes.

Due to the nature of that particular module, though, I’d expect it to be more than accurate enough for the task.

I’ve always considered getting one for this expressed purpose (it really does seem like a handy tool)…make sure to report back with your results if you happen to try this!

Worked like a charm. And I actually did find a way to use frames, in a small way, after all. I set channel 1 to 1v and ch2 to 3v. That way I only had to dial in the correct voltage once and I was able to calibrate several modules very quickly. Thank you so much for your ideas and responses!