Clouds Faulty

I just bought a clouds off Gumtree but it sounds all comb filtered when I turn the blend knob. I’ve only set the other blend parameters to zero but it sounds nothing like what DivKid or Mylar Melodies sound in their youtube videos. I’ve put a drumloop through it, have it set the the general default setting but it sounds all comb filtered/anti-aliased. I’ve also tried it through the other 3 settings and they sound bad also.

I’m thinking the previous owner may has inserted the ribbon the wrong way. What happens to the unit if this is the case. I can know longer reach the guy I bought it off and just paid him £260 for it :frowning:

Has anyone experienced this also and if so what can I do?

Thank you.

The module is protected against that, and it would be quite strange that it would cause the module to act as a comb filter.

Are you sure that:

• The module is configured for granular processing?
  • An alternative firmware is not installed?
1 Like

It’s good to know the unit is protected against inserting the ribbon incorrectly.

I updated the firmware to 1.31 and recalibrated the unit from my Beatstep Pro as per the manuals notes. This along with providing suitable pitch cv into the 1v/oct input has improved the sound greatly. I think the pitch range was way out and so was producing the comb filtering effect I was hearing.

One thing I cannot seem to work out is capturing more then 1/2 second sample using the Freeze button. It always only seems to capture a very small amount. I have tried setting the resolution to maximum but cannot have this increase the sample time. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks.

You have to play the fragment you want to capture and press FREEZE right at the end. Is that what you do?

2 Likes

I had a drum loop playing constantly so there was not much silent parts in it. I tried various knob settings but maybe these were not ideal. What would be good knob positions for maximum freeze time then?

The buffer time is independent of knobs’ positions.

2 Likes

OK, so I guess using the position knob for example will sweep thru sections of the buffered sample?

Yes.

1 Like