Burning Bootloader via AVRISP pin on Shruthi-1 controlboard

OHA, thank you Larsen, I didn´t even read that part, good you had a look at it, thanks!

Hello, I’m planning to finish the mounting of my XT, and I’d like to program my atmega from my mac, although I have an old pc in my garage. This one seems mac compatible : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Bid-MRP01-USB-AVR-ISP-Programmer-AT-mega-tiny-90-AVRISP-mkII-clone-2type-socket-/390982228028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b085b583c
Do you think this could do the job ? Is there anything different codewise from the “Original AVRISP mk2” ?

Honestly, just get the atmel one. I spent twice what that thing cost on cheap alternatives all of which had some issue or broke after a short time not to mention the time wasted trying to get them to work

I use a cheapo avrisp mk2 and sometimes a usbasp. I never ever had problems with them. Total firmware uploads >> 500, from windows, mac and linux.

BTW: I can recomment AVR-Burn-O-Mat for flashing and editing fuses. Its super easy to use and more convenient than the command line.

After some confusion with altitude’s instructions I just want to say that I successfully flashed my shruti XT by getting rid of the ‘/’ in the last line, so:

avrdude -B 1 -V -p m644p -c avrisp2 -P usb \\ -U flash:w:shruthi1_0.97.hex:i -U flash:w:muboot.hex:i -U lock:w:0x2f:m

is now

avrdude -B 1 -V -p m644p -c avrisp2 -P usb -U flash:w:shruthi1_0.97.hex:i -U flash:w:muboot.hex:i -U lock:w:0x2f:m

Is that slash supposed to be there or is it just a typo? Or maybe to make sure we are paying attention?

Also I successfully flashed the firmware with the usbtiny from adafruit, which is a $20 avr programmer kit.

In shell scripts / makefiles, the slash is used to break down a long command line into several.

windspirit: depends on your platform. with linux (and also most probably macOS X) the backslash (not slash) is just right. I recently flashed a Shruthi for the first time and used this:

avrdude -B 1 -V -p m644p -c ${PROGRAMMER} \\
-U eeprom:w:${EEPROM}:i \\
-U flash:w:${FIRMWARE}:i \\
-U flash:w:${BOOTLOADER}:i \\
-U lock:w:0x2f:m

I’m not sure if “shruthi1_0.97.hex” is really the right firmware for your XT, though.

Yeah Im finding some problems with the installed firmware even though something is on there. The thing is that when I included the slash the firmware wouldn’t even install, it just skipped right to the bootloader. Ill go ahead and try it again with the backslash like you suggested. Also I installed firmware 1_0.92.hex for some reason, Im going to go for 1.02 next. This is my first time flashing an avr, so sorry if my comments are n00b1$h

It’s OK to omit the backslashes if you put the whole command into one line, so there is no need to retry it with backslashes.

I don’t have a Shruthi XT yet, but as far as I understand firmware v0.97 was released before the Shruthi XT has been developed - so if you have any problems with v0.97, I’d still assume that flashing the firmware itself was successful. Note that you have to configure the firmware for XT (see “Hardware Selection” in Manual).

Please note also that there is a “internal_eeprom_xt.hex” (in contrast to “internal_eeprom.hex”) which hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet.