Building a monorocket inspired eurorack case

Hi,

I’m currently in the process of building two portable eurorack case inspired by monorocket cases. I thought you might be interested in some details.

I got inspired by this muffwiggler thread.

The cases will be 126hp * 9u. Enough for the start… :smiley: The dimensions are: 67cm width x 42,3cm height x 14,4cm depth (including top cover) + a few millimeters for the tolex cover.

I’m using 12mm birch plywood (Multiplex). This should give enough stability. I will glue the pieces together and use Lamello biscuits for additional stability.

I thought a long time about the maximal depth for modules. I wanted something skiff-y, but with room for some deeper modules. I ended up with 7cm.
If you take a look at the first picture, you can see that I have enough depth on the left and right side of the case. Here I can place some deeper modules like my rs-95e (6,5cm). I looked at all my favorite modules and no module is deeper than 7 cm. Even 95% of all doepfer modules aren’t deeper. 7 cm is perfect.

Thanks to the super thin mutable instruments modules (only 1 pcb on the backside) I even had room for adding a huge spring reverb (type 9) for my music thing diy reverb module. :)) (picture 2)

The depths for modules:
7 cm on the left and right side
5 cm above the buses
3,5cm above the power supply
3 cm above the spring reverb

I’m using a meanwell power supply, which provides 12+, 12- and 5v. Perfect. Thanks fcd72 for the awesome tip. Also thanks for your great bus boards I’m using.

At the end I will place some tolex around the wood. I got it from Tube-town. They have great selection of tolex. I took a make noise style tolex and a red wine tolex

I will update you about my progress. If you have some questions, I’m happy to help :slight_smile:

Very nice!

Good work.

Nice BusBoards!

You make this stuff look way too easy!

Not sure about that, but I may also include 2 usb connectors (via 5v) to connect usb speakers, op1, lamps or other stuff. - Or I will built 2 speakers inside. :slight_smile: Tomorrow I will start with the gluing.

Build them inside!

I won’t allow USB in that case!

Looks great so far. Where did you get the rails and mounts?

Take a look at the last picture :wink:

I got them from Clicks & clocks. Great guy in Germany who sells eurocase diy stuff.

How much did you pay per 84TE, including nuts, and the threaded strip, buying from clicks & clocks?

I want to replace my happy ending kits. I think a Ikea Rast is like 92hp. So far Erthenvar is the best solution, but I don’t want m2.5 holes in my strips.

Still looking for a North American shop to get rails at…great case though! I love the idea of built in speakers.

@V`cent: I’m not sure if he wants his prices online. He provides a price list, if you ask him via email.

Very nice. I would love to build my own case because the IKEA Rast is already filled up … But I need to find a space to do the woodwork first - will be no good trying to do it in a small living-room. I also thought about getting some of the Meanwells 5V-juice out into some USB-sockets to charge the iPad or the OP1. Would also be great to power the upcoming Beatstep? So this is what I got. Quite cheap but useable.
Good luck with the tolex!

very nice. make sure you get the water based tolex glue from tube town too. awesome stuff.

clicks&clocks is a great find! thanks for linking that.
unfortunately the dude is low on stock, but he will get more stuff soon.
i think i am going with that for my next case.
its not realy more expensive than ikea rast + rackrails + baugruppenträger and woodworking is fun anyway.

You can find vector rails from Digikey! And Newark, I believe. I have posted a link somewhere else on this forum or Muffs, forget where.

Here are the Newark links, try searching using the mfr part numbers:
http://www.newark.com/schroff/30819-594/threaded-insert-for-horizontal/dp/92B7328
http://www.newark.com/vector-electronics/ts600/t-strut-aluminium-mounting-rail/dp/77B5782?Ntt=77B5782

Thanks for that! I knew that they would be available through someone like newark, but unsure of what 19" eurorack rails would be called (in real life) :slight_smile:

A small update: I glued all the parts together and brought them to a carpenter for rounding all the edges. He worked very inaccurate and caused more work than fun… Anyway…At least he only took 25 Euro for rounding 2 cases.

I still need to sand the wood a tiny bit better so that the two case parts join more precisely. Next I will glue the tolex and add all the hardware (bus boards, power supply, handle, rail…) Hopefully I will have everything finished this week. :wink:

A small list of what you need to do to built a case:

1. Cut the wood to the right sizes.
  2. Glue them together.
  3. Round all the edges.
  4. Sand all the imperfections.
  5. Color the inside black (I did this to early…)
  6. Glue the tolex (still not sure how to do it best)
  7. Add all the outside hardware (edges, handle, twists…)
  8. Add all the inside hardware (bus boards, power supply, spring reverb)

:slight_smile:

Does anyone know anything about such legs? I can’t find them on google… But I’m also not sure about the search term :smiley: I would love to add them to my case. I contacted the case makers, but unfortunately they didn’t answer.

They look a bit like guitar whammy bars.

Thanks. Yes, you are right, they look like whammy bars. However all the whammy bars are unusable for my case as they have right angles. :confused: