Branches reverse use

Hi, I’ve searched a bit but couldn’t find an answer to my question and my knowledge is too limited to come to a logical conclusion on my own, so here goes;

Is it possible to use branches so that it takes two possible gates/triggers and it decides between one of those to send to the output? I realize this is possible with a doepfer switch but it wouldn’t have the probability.
A lot of the time when I’m visualising a possible branches patch I want to take this route and then remember the module has 1 in and two outs rather than the other way around.

Have the feeling this is a really stupid question but something just isn’t clicking in my mind, sorry.

0 Likes

Disclaimer: i’m just imagining.

The Doepfer switch is an analogue module which makes no difference between in and out (not trying to say all analogue modules behave like that). Branches is digitally controlled afaik.
I’m not sure if being digital per se rules out using a digital module backwards (input detection and crazy routing ftw?), but i don’t know a digital module you can invert like that.
So, not a 100% certain with the technical stuff, but i’d be very surprised. Waiting for the expert explanation. But as i see it, a digital module receives some information on a dedicated input, processes it and delivers the result to the dedicated output. As Branches has to detect a trigger on the input to do the cointoss – it’s not the same as in a Doepfer switch, where Jacks were connected and whatever input you send through, the module wouldn’t know. Also i guess detecting a trigger is very different to creating one, in terms of the circuit on the board.

You likely don’t want to send two exact same triggers into the outputs and receive just one on the input. What are you planning to feed Branches (or a switch) with? Triggers with different lengths, different patterns (like bursts)?

One output of Branches into the switch toggle or patching Branches with a (dual) VCA would do the trick.

tl;dr: i guess i assume i dont know :blush:

1 Like

It’s not possible, you can’t turn a eurorack-compatible digital input circuit into a digital output.

Something like this is patchable with the Doepfer because it’s a switch IC behind the scenes.

Also: if there are two inputs, when should the module decide to switch?

1 Like

Let me see, how about this?
Add the two triggersignals together with a mult or a stackable cable (just make sure the outputs that are producing the triggers handle that first!). You can now feed this combined trigger signal into branches input. It will be randomly distributed to the outputs. Just take one of them. It should effectively be the signal you are searching for: some randomly selected triggers from any of the inputs will pass thru to the output.
I might have misunderstood your goal.

2 Likes

I think you got it right. If OP wants to randomly send two different length gates, or two different envelopes to some CV input elsewhere, they can just use Branches to trigger these gates or envelopes, mix the signals together and send away. In a way, there’s nothing involving flip-coin decisions that can’t be done with Branches since it’s a fundamental module.

1 Like

Building on what others have already said, the reason those methods work is because when considering triggers, there’s no real difference between triggers. So if you have two triggers that hit at the same time and you want to choose between the two, there’s no point in choosing, since they’re effectively the same thing. So, with that in mind, what you want to do is effectively just choosing some random triggers from one source, some random triggers from the other source, and then mixing the output together into one trigger stream. As has already been pointed out, you can do this by feeding one trigger source into one channel of Branches, the other source into the other channel, and then mix or combine one output from each channel. A simple mixer is fine, or if you have a passive OR gate combiner that works too, or an active OR like the MAX output on the Kinks. (I wouldn’t recommend using a passive mult to combine trigger outputs. That could potentially damage one or both of the trigger source modules, depending on how their outputs are designed. Remember, in eurorack, it’s always best not to plug an output into an output, to be safe, and that’s what you’d be doing if you connected them with a mult.) Or you could mix/combine the trigger sources before putting it into Branches and save yourself a Branches channel, since it’s the same thing (except you can’t control the probability of each trigger source individually then).

It gets more complicated if your two trigger streams have different voltage levels and you care about getting different voltage levels in your output. Or if they’re gates and you care about getting different gate lengths in your output. (In both of those cases, I wonder if there’s a better way to think about and frame your desired end result that would provide a simpler solution?) But if it’s just triggers, it’s as easy as branches and a mixer/combiner.

1 Like

Wow. Thank you all for the extensive replies and sharing your knowledge.
I don’t currently have anything significant to contribute but I’ve learned a lot from these posts. What a great community.

0 Likes